na manual - auto

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
anyone done this before? i mean full engine out inc manual box and fitted an engine complete with auto tranny in instead?

just something im thinking about as i have a manual with rod knock, and a fully working na auto spares car.

the na auto is too far gone to be put back as a road car. has a broken windshield. rust in a lot of areas (inc structual) and needs subframe rebuild at the front.

the na manual has i beleive a recent front bush replacement. and has relatively clean bodywork though is needing all the trims replacing. these i can also swap from the auto shell.

the manual car's engine is the rod knocky one

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
So you want to take an auto transmission and motorset and put it in a manual car?

If so, why not just put the manual transmission on the auto engine and put it back in? Unless you specifically want an auto.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
JonoTurbo;1214106 said:
So you want to take an auto transmission and motorset and put it in a manual car?

If so, why not just put the manual transmission on the auto engine and put it back in? Unless you specifically want an auto.

My thoughts exactly.

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
Most people like auto especially girls or for drag racing. I think there is a lot more involved especially most modern auto transmission is electronically controlled. You need auto harness for chassis and transmission. Plus auto transmission got their own ecu. Its much easier to buy auto car unless your going for TH350 or 400.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's not that hard as he has all the parts sitting there to do the swap...

It IS easier to go from auto to manual though.

ECU, Tranny controller, pedals, shifter, gauges all have to be swapped...

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
i was asking as i have 2 complete cars. unfortunately not a huge amount of space to do the job. id be pulling and replaceing the engine in the street.

and if it had been easier to pull old engine and box. and then fit new engine auto box and prop and then just have stuff like pedals etc to swap over i could have done that.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Personally, I think it would be easier to swap the trannies and stay with a manual. You'll have to swap wiring harnesses and there might be an issue with the throttle linkage (for the kickdown cable), but the rest will all be the same.