Na Bhg?

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
I'll check over the Diagnosing a Blown Head Gasket thing and officially check, as for abusing the thing was driven pretty lightly, one owner before me who was an old gu ythat drove it to work and back.. onyl thing i can think of that was wrong with it is the bolts holding on the valve cover kept loosening themselves and oil would begin to leak.

dip stick looked fine and the temp didnt spike at all. also i havent noticed any white smoke (was parked until now)

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
well...., if it's not blown this time it probably will be next time. The hks mhg's are less expensive than the greddy. They are both good seals. But..., if you aren't roll'n metal. You should be thinking about it. I just now wonder if there is a fuel conversion kit to switch over too diesel. The way my car drinks oil it would be extatic.

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
the things so freaking loud i cant hea much of anything ill listen for it though, as for smell, no cat so ir already has a strong smell, ill check to see if it smells sweet though. and as for codes i'll check that out too. im a little scared lol. Im thinking i might just go to 7mgte and put a mhg in that... also what would happen if i were to just drive it with the mhg? not that i'm going to im just wondering. I'm assuming overheating due to oil in the rad and possibly something internal if coolant gets in wheres theres only supposed to be oil?

fatality

I was speeding?!? NO WAY!
Mar 1, 2006
Houston
when I blew my HG, there was tons of white smoke coming out the exhaust (this is from the coolant/water evaporating that is in the oil).

also, look around the exhaust manifold, where the 5th and 6th cylinders are located, this is where the majority of HG fail on supras. sometimes there is coolant leaking out towards the outside. you might not be able to see this easily, so run the car around the block a couple of times then while running look at the engine and rev the engine by hand.

as stated previously, look for frothy coolant and frothy oil on the dipstick (goes with out saying, but dont open the radiator cap while hot).

the engine temperature gauge should be going buck wild, spiking up and down while driving, especially while idling.

good luck man

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
too bad ive already started all the bodywork now that the engines screwed

also im amazed with the help im getting from you guys, i was 100% sure id get the old "search button! repost!" stuff

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
lol, well i have this dye indicator crap and a light that will make my fluids glow if they're mixed and such

Oh, i checked my codes and there wernt any, so is this bhg really mild? because there's no sweet smell, exhaust looks about normal, cars running strong, temperature is fine.

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
89Joe said:
Can you confirm it was infact oil in the overflow?

Sure can, just as soon as the sun goes down. We borrowed this set from a friend inwhich you add this stuff to your oil, and it glows under this uv light, so anywhere that oil is leaking, or getting mixed into, will glow bright birght bright yellow. So i'm just hoping that overflow will stay not glowing.

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
just checked, none of the oil that was indicated showed up anywhere but the oil cap.. so today it didnt get past the gasket? weirdness

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
not really....., I have the same thing you do. Obvious oil in the engine coolant. If I average a speed of 75mph, my engine will expell up too 2qt's of oil in 200 miles. If I keep it @ 70 and under. It cut's that down to a half qt. every couple of days around town. I think you just have a bhg that is minimally blown. There is oil that has leaked all over the belly of the car down past the cat. I think instead of the rear main being shot....., wich was my initial responce, instead I think I have a leaky oil pan. Hard to say till I turn the wrenches.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
That's a good idea though. The luminesent additive to the oil. I didn't know if that shiat really worked or not. And it may take more than an idle to get the cars juices flowing properly. I'd get under it either after a trip or 2 round the block or I'd find someone who could rev it while I lie underneath and watch.