Mystery Window Problem

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
For some reason my windows only work when both passenger and driver door are both open. there is nothing wrong with the switch (tested according to TSRM), nothing wrong with the motor (it goes up and down) and not a pinched wire issue (works no matter what position the door is in except fully closed). so my initial though is, ground. somewhere, somehow, the switch shares a ground with the "open door" indicator, i checked through the TSRM, but i couldn't find conclusive evidence they do. I don't know if i'm missing anything here, but any insight as to what i should test next would be really nice. My plans for later today are to replace the window control module thats in the driver side door.

Thanks for reading

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I would check for continuity of the wires that go from door to chassis as the door is moved from open to closed. Possibly one is broken internally and not making contact when the door is fully closed.

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
lmao, That's what i get for writing shit at 3 in the morning. what i meant was the door lock control relay (http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=090) because it's tied into the theft deterrent system, and the door locks stopped working about the same time. I thought maybe they could be related since they both pass through the F1 and 7A junction.

i can check again, but i'm almost certain its not a continuity problem. fuuuuuuu.....i dont want to tear into this agin. haha

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
continuity update:
i don't know exactly what the continuity should be, but i compared it in the working position (latched but open through fully extended) and non-working (fully latched) position. they were basically the same. nothing for 5 out of the 6 pins, and a change in the last. but the non-working continuity is within the range of working, so i don't know that it matters?

i.e
non-working = .35~.45 kOhms
working = .2 Ohms ~ .8MOhms

same thing with voltage and ground. no change between door open (full range) and fully closed.

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
could it be possible that the power is run through the power to the light on the bottom right of the door?
would point to the open door culprit.

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
The connector to the main window switch to inside the driver kick panel? wouldnt that be the place to check continuity?

Both. but the symptoms happened at about the same time, so i thought they might be related. Windows are more important though

The light turns on, and dont think so. Everything but the speaker wires looks untouched.

Joni

Mar 18, 2009
Konnevesi, Finland
I did had same problem with 4runner and it was broken wire at door harness. Check voltage to window switch when door is open and when close, also ground. It should not drop. I did had right resistance at wires but voltage dropped to 5 volts. Sorry my bad english, it's not my main language. :)