AJK

Oct 28, 2007
Calgary
p1559260_1.jpg

p1559260_2.jpg

AJK

Oct 28, 2007
Calgary
So I got everything hooked up today, turned the starter with the EFI fuse out to get the oil circulating, and then fired it up. It idled nicely at about 1000 rpm, then the oil pressure light came on and I shut it down right away. Pretty much the deal is; if I turn it over for about 15 second, then start it, the engine is fine for about five seconds and then the oil pressure light comes on and it dies out or gets turned off by me. If I don't turn it over it starts and sounds like a mess with the oil pressure light on, then dies. Any advice? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Does it run rough and then the oil pressure light come on? If the idle drops real low, the pump wont be spinning fast enough to create enough pressure to switch the oil pressure switch. If the oil pressure light comes on and then it runs rough that is another story!

AJK

Oct 28, 2007
Calgary
Oil pressure light comes on, and then it runs rough. New oil pump needed? I find it odd that running it on the starter causes the oil pressure light to turn off, but running it on it's own power causes no pressure.

SupraSabre

Older Then Most
Jan 17, 2007
Murrieta, CA
www.hamptonrpi.com
I feel your pain! I have a 89 that I put a new engine in (JDM) and after fixing a bunch of issues (took me almost a year to fix them all) I find out that it had a BHG! So back in November 2008 (in between jobs at the time) I had the head redone and replaced the head gasket. It ran great for about 10 months an then another BFG! (Grrr) So now it has been sitting for another 10 months and I'm getting ready to replace the Head Gasket again!

Good luck and hang in there!

AJK

Oct 28, 2007
Calgary
There is nothing to block the pick up, the pan has been removed a few times.

Good luck with the bad headgasket stuff there SupraSabre, live and learn right? Good time to build the head perhaps?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Install a mechanical oil psi guage to make sure you're getting pressure or loosing pressure....something may not be grounded correctly or whatever causing that oil psi warning.

AJK

Oct 28, 2007
Calgary
I just fired it up for a few moments, turned it off, and read diagnostic codes. It's showing a code 14, "No IGF signal to ECU". Trouble areas include Ignitor and ignition coil and circuit, and/or ECU.

Does that make sense for any of this?

AJK

Oct 28, 2007
Calgary
Oil pump is fine, oil pressure is fine. Power steering pump needs replacing. Who knew they cost so much? $600 from local toyota!

Thanks for everyone's input.