My supra (and first car) has been deemed a total loss, should I keep it for later?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
I'm at a crossroads with my supra, it just had some cosmetic damage from a wreck and I have to choose whether to keep it as a salvage title, or sell it and part ways with it.

I've had it seven or eight years and it's been faithful and a great learning tool that taught me a lot. I've done the head gasket, entire brake system, parts of the steering system, basic maintenance and whatever else I've forgotten, and I learned how all with this car.  I never took classes, just taught myself with the help of kind folks here, and the TSRM of course.

Sadly it's taken a few hits since I got it, and after the second-to-last hit, I elected to just take the money rather than fix the dent in my fender because I needed the money more than a cosmetically fixed car. I'd previously discovered the rear upper suspension arm (a-arm?) had been at the very least broken off or sheared off at the rear mount. It was subsequently repaired using 1/4" steel stock, and it's a bad looking repair and a shoddy weld. I didn't feel like dumping a lot of money into a wrecked and potentially dangerous car knowing it would need at the least, a new rear subframe.

That being said it's a 1986.5, and it has numerous issues. I'm currently being offered $3700 for it outright if I let the insurance company take it, since it was deemed a total loss given it's current body condition. It's just as drivable as it was before being hit so it's still a functional car. This isn't to say it's running well, but it runs. I was hoping for some advice on ditching my first car, or keeping it. I thought perhaps someday I'd strip the interior, put in a cage, do some body work, replace the rear subframe, upgrade the suspension, and fab it up for the drivetrain and LS1 out of a camaro.

Frankly I can't ever see restoring it to a daily or a show car because:<br><br>The car isn't clean enough to warrant restoring, and the engine and drivetrain aren't worth keeping. Basically it's come down to keeping my car to resurrect as a different beast with a new heart later in life, or just ditch the thing now, save space, and buy a cleaner supra if I ever want one, someday.

I get the estimate for buyback tomorrow and expect them to be asking $200-500 for the car if I want to keep it. I intend to buy an economical car as a daily regardless of my choice, probably a Civic HX (40-45mpg).

IMG_20141013_141020.jpg

as for the car's condition, there's easily 5-6k of needed body work at a shop. To look ok, it will need a new front fender, and work on the damage you see above which might mean a donor hatch, license plate section, and bondo work below the tail light.. along with a full paint job because the paint is badly faded and wasn't good to begin with. I figured as a track car, it's still worth keeping, but I dunno. I would be doing the body work myself if I fix it up for a track car.

There is also another option of parting it out, but mostly it's just the glass, maybe the driver's fender, interior, and Gotti rims that might be of any value to anyone.

Last edited:

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
DeMoN2318;2027547 said:
Take the 3700 and get another one
I've looked at some others, the problem is I've learned it's not a cheap car to own, maintain, and fuel. I thought it would rock to have a 2jz swapped car that has a newer engine and fresher parts, but that's out of my budget. I figure I can throw together 5-6k on the high end if I save for a bit.

I am hoping for an eco car for longer trips because cutting fuel bills in half makes things WAY eaiser, and my business requires good transportation. Since i'm self-employed, economical is beneficial until I've started saving money beyond expenses.

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
My first supra was totaled in a garage fire and I was debating the same thing about keeping it and building a beast. For me I decided it was going to be more work for a car that I would always wonder if the repairs made it 100 percent again so I ended up buying another with the money I got from the insurance company. You can pick up fairly clean shells later if you want to do a track car build so it might be easier to buy one when you get to the point of wanting to build one later down the line

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
maxburn;2027549 said:
My first supra was totaled in a garage fire and I was debating the same thing about keeping it and building a beast. For me I decided it was going to be more work for a car that I would always wonder if the repairs made it 100 percent again so I ended up buying another with the money I got from the insurance company. You can pick up fairly clean shells later if you want to do a track car build so it might be easier to buy one when you get to the point of wanting to build one later down the line

Aww that's a bummer. Was it your first car? That's a bit of the problem for me that I'm struggling with. I've heard quite a few "I wish I didn't get rid of my first car" stories but I don't know how I'll feel later. It is after all just a car, but it's got lots of memories tied up in it.

Your point about finding a clean shell later is a good one too, since there may be better options and hell, I don't know that I'd WANT to track a supra because they're huge and heavy. Not exactly auto-x domination material to be honest...

I've also considered keeping it and parting it out but yeah...not sure what anyone would want from it. it's had too much previous damage to classify as a cherry donor shell.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Once you get a new one you will forget about the "first car"...I was just like you when I blew up my first supra (and car), then I got the new one and am soooo glad I did.

Also, long drives u should get mid 20s mpg...I just drive to SIV and back and got 25 mpg overall...that's with untuned 550s running mad rich

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
DeMoN2318;2027551 said:
Once you get a new one you will forget about the "first car"...I was just like you when I blew up my first supra (and car), then I got the new one and am soooo glad I did.

Also, long drives u should get mid 20s mpg...I just drive to SIV and back and got 25 mpg overall...that's with untuned 550s running mad rich

There are trips I'd like to make where 45mpg would double my range, and in two years save me about $900, give or take.

In my position that's a good chunk of change blown just on gas, sadly. I was getting 22mpg on long highway trips with my supra so I'm confident a well tuned N/A or turbo would get a bit better, but it's still not economical in my eyes. 30 maybe, but not 20. :/

A trip I'd make more that costs 90 dollars in gas would be only 42 dollars, so I could even take jobs that are 230 miles away.

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
It was my first car I bought with my own money and my first "real" car haha. I agree on forgetting about your first car. My new one blows my old one out of the water even though the body has a few more dents even if they are very minor. I understand the daily option for sure. Couldn't you buy a cheap daily civic and then buy a clean shell and slowly build it the way you want over time?

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
maxburn;2027554 said:
It was my first car I bought with my own money and my first "real" car haha. I agree on forgetting about your first car. My new one blows my old one out of the water even though the body has a few more dents even if they are very minor. I understand the daily option for sure. Couldn't you buy a cheap daily civic and then buy a clean shell and slowly build it the way you want over time?

I guess I could, I would like a good supra someday. I suppose knowing that this one will only cost me $300 give or take to keep, makes it difficult to let go.

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
Yeah I understand that I didn't have that problem since they wanted 2000 to keep my supra after the fire lol

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
whaaaat? why did they want so much??

I don't know if I should value the rims either, they're Italian Gotti 55C's but I can't tell if they're worth much or would be sought after. They look rather dated and at least one has a bend that needs repair on the inside lip.

untitled_by_figit090-d84iwpa.jpg

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
I'm not sure why since the paint was bubbled harness was screwed and the head was off. So whatever wasn't damaged by fire was water damaged. I definitely didn't understand the 2000 dollar price. I guess that it had aftermarket rims on it too but they weren't that great lol. I hated them personally. Picture of my old carsupra.jpgVELOCITY_V200_CHROME_1.jpg rims

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
weird, that's interesting. Hopefully the value they throw at me tomorrow is REALLLY low.

Is it hard and/or worthwhile to sell a car for parts? I thought since this car's had a complicated past and may not (likely won't) smog, I could keep it for a few hundred, then sell it privately for parts later, maybe for $800 or something, I dunno.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Take the 3700. You will never get that much for a 86.5. Esp with salvage title. Can buy a clean car for that.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
It really depends on how attached you are to the car. I know I am very attached to mine. It's more than just a car to me, but you may feel differently about yours. My Supra was also my first car and I don't ever have any intentions of getting rid of it. It was the car that I learned how to work on cars with, drive a stick on, and I have a lot of memories in that car. I don't drive it even nearly as much as I used to, but I still love to take it out when I do. There's something special about the car to me. In the end if you think you could replace your current supra with a different one then you might be better off taking the 3700 and just looking for another one down the road. If you feel that you couldn't replace it with another one then I would look into buying the car back from the insurance company.