my supra all of a sudden sounds like an old truck...

88SupraTurbo

Apr 17, 2005
i just took my 88t out for a drive and all of a sudden i get a weird whine sound (kind of like a BOV) whenever i start to accelerate that ive never heard before... so i turn around and then all of a sudden i start to get the sound of an old trucks exhaust... i have absolutly no clue what just happend but the sound seems to be coming from either the turbo or exaust manifold... please help.

Milenko

Mar 31, 2005
Mifflinville, PA
Exhaust leak?

Did you check to make sure that the turbo is bolted tightly to the manifold and also the downpipe?

Either one coming loose could have made the whistling sound. What you hear now might be a large exhaust leak.

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
When I had this problem it ended up my 16 year old stock downpipe had a huge crack in it and it was just hanging there. Lots of noise - very loud. I could smell the exhaust in the engine bay.

Can you smell anything in the cabin while driving?

You can take a peek in the engine when it is running and see if you can smell exhaust.

88SupraTurbo

Apr 17, 2005
i dont really smell anything in the cab while driving but when i rev the engine i think i can smell it in the engine compartment.. the only weird thing is everything seems tight.

88SupraTurbo

Apr 17, 2005
ok i think i may have possibly pin pointed where the exhause leak is coming from...... behind the left(turbo side) cam cover? there is a strong steady stream of what seems like exhause coming from between just under the cam cover and the firewall.... what could possibly leaking exhaust back there?

88SupraTurbo

Apr 17, 2005
EGR? im not sure what that stands for, and i dont think that if the exhaust manifold was leaking that it would be pushing the exhause up between the firewall and cam cover.... but mabey this EGR thing?

Race Bred

Mar 30, 2005
Tallahassee, Fl
Sounds like your EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) cooler gasket blew out. It is the plate that sits on the back of the head. The gasket is cheap, but it is a pain to replace as there is not a lot of room to work back there. Good luck!

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system has many components - please see the online TSRM (Supra manual) for details/pictures.

The EGR valve sits right up against the firewall and is a PITA to get to!

There are vacuum lines all in there too so take a look at the pictures in the TSRM to make sure the lines are all where they should be and are connected correctly.

This is not a huge thing to fix and you can do it yourself if you have the time, the tools and the pictures.