My Spare Turbo Leaks On The Shelf

supraman666

Mar 20, 2009
PAWTUCKET RI
I have a spare stock ct26 with 40k on it sitting on the shelf in my garage that i recently needed to put on my car. I put some oil in the oil inlet hole and let it sit to soak in on the shelf for a week. Today I grabed the turbo to swap and the oil came out the exhaust side of the turbo where the turbo and manifold meet. I turned it around some more then it came out the outlet on the intake side. There is little side to side play and no in and out play. Dose this mean its no good? It was upsidedown on the shelf I dont know if that would do it. Its been out of car scince 03. This is most likely a dumb question but I dont know my ass from my elboe when it comes to the guts of a turbo. Any info or comments would be helpful.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I'm speaking from pure ignorance on this and would like the question answered by Someone who really knows...but considering the turbo doesn't use rubber seals and in a running car a turbo never "fills" with oil with a proper feed and drain, I think this is generally what would happen in your case....a working pcv system keeps oil inside a motor so that's another reason this turbo leaked....so givin that you "filled" a turbo with oil and the type of seals a ct uses "like piston rings" this oil leak isn't really a problem....install the turbo on the car and it probably won't leak.

This is my "guess"....more/less testing my self education.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
^ I agree with the above statement. I was thinking the same thing. Over time a Turbo I would at least think leak if oil or any fluid is there long enough sitting. When a turbo is running there is a steady stream of oil going in and then back out.

Anyhow I agree..

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Pretty close Gaboon ;)

The seals are indeed a piston ring type seal. They are compressed when installed to leave minimal gap between the ends of the rings and around the rings. This is a torturous oil path to prevent leakage into the air/exhaust passages. Most turbos use only a single piston ring on the compressor/turbine sides to reduce drag on the rotational assembly to max out mechanical efficiency. It's not uncommon for 2 rings to be used on both the compressor and turbine sides in applications where oil leakage would cause problems (i.e. emissions).

On the compressor side, there is usually an oil splitter which throws oil away from the seal as it is spinning. The piston rings and the splitter are dynamic seals...the faster the turbo spins, the better the seal works.

Here's an explanation from Forced Performance:
Forced Performance said:
The seals within the turbo are not meant to hold back a bearing housing that has become full of oil. They are designed to sling the oil mist and spray within the bearing housing away from the point where the shaft comes out each end. If the bearing housing becomes full of oil it will ooze out past even brand new seal rings.

The oil should freely drain out of the bearing housing as quickly as the engine supplies it. This is why the drain tube is so much larger than the supply tube. Gravity is the only force moving the oil out of the turbocharger. Any slight restriction in the oil drain tube, even a small silicone dingle berry, can slightly impede the draining of the oil and cause oil to back up into the bearing housing.

The crankcase vents are the second largest cause of oil loss from a good condition turbocharger. The seals in the turbocharger were designed with expectation that the pressure inside the compressor and turbine housing will always be greater than the pressure in the bearing housing. If this is ever not the case then oil will come out pass the seals. A restricted crankcase vent will cause this to happen. If the amount of ring blowby exceeds the ability of the crank vents to release the pressure positive pressure will build within the crankcase. This pressure within the crankcase can exceed the pressure inside the compressor and turbine housings under some operating conditions resulting in oil being driven pass the seals by the improperly biased pressure gradient across the seal rings. In severe cases it may be necessary to introduce vacuum pumps to deal with crankcase pressure, but these would be very severe high boost applications where even low percentages of blowby produce a high volume of crankcase vent flow.

I posted that to illustrate a point. The seals depend on differential air/exhaust pressure to keep the oil in the center housing...i.e. pressure is exerted inward on the center housing. For those that have done Cletus mods to the PCV system and think vac is not necessary for the PCV to work correctly need to think out that idea again ;)

The short answer: A turbo sitting on the shelf full of oil will very likely leak.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Thanks JDub, I was pretty sure this was the case like Gab was saying. I have taken a turbo off of many of my Supra with some oil in them and when i go back to check there is a little puddle below the exhaust turbine.

supraman666

Mar 20, 2009
PAWTUCKET RI
thanks for the lesson jdub it answered my question perfectly. i searched for hours and found nothing. now i can put this one in and be confident it is good. thanks to everyone for the help

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Thank you all so much!

My turbo did this and I thought for sure the oil leak was caused my failed attempts to remove the exhaust housing. (Didn't budge a bit, not even under gentle heat.)