My serpentine belt is getting cut to shreds

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
Got my car back from the shop today. Drove it an hour and a half home, without any problems didn't really romp on it. Parked it unloaded some stuff, got back in it later and cranked it ran it a few min. and heard a slapping noise under the hood.

lo and behold the front portion of the serpentine belt is surgically sliced and slapping the motor I'd say about a 3-4mm section about 15 inches long after further inspection it looks as if it is riding the outboard edge of the A/C pulley. My question is is the A/C pulley and the power steering pulley supposed to be in perfect alignment as in sitting directly in line with one another? Mine are not. This is killing me I just got the car back today and it's deadlined already.

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
The pulleys should all align with each other. By any chance did you just replace your power steering pump with one from a 2JZ motor? if thats the case then whoever did the work never machined the pulley shaft down to make sure they pulleys lined up.

macjac69 said:
Got my car back from the shop today. Drove it an hour and a half home, without any problems didn't really romp on it. Parked it unloaded some stuff, got back in it later and cranked it ran it a few min. and heard a slapping noise under the hood.

lo and behold the front portion of the serpentine belt is surgically sliced and slapping the motor I'd say about a 3-4mm section about 15 inches long after further inspection it looks as if it is riding the outboard edge of the A/C pulley. My question is is the A/C pulley and the power steering pulley supposed to be in perfect alignment as in sitting directly in line with one another? Mine are not. This is killing me I just got the car back today and it's deadlined already.

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
mine is doing the same dang thing, but mine is only the p/s belt, looks like it is in line with the crank, but damn it it keeps riding along the edge and slicing itself thinner and thinner. wtf! my serpentine for the w/p and alt is not doing it thogh, maybe the alt is misalighned on yours?

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
It's definately the power steering shaft that needs to be machined. I had to put a 2j pump on there since the 1j unit frm my half cut was bad.

It was a bitch to change that belt with everything installed but I got it done. I still can't drive the car much though because of the misalignment. Autozone belt part # 770K6 works perfectly though.