DR. Jonez MBC
TRD Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel

pic 404.jpg

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
What all did you have to do, I'm assuming it's Na-T. I've read some of the threads but they all leave some stuff out such as the coil packs, the oil pan, how to get out from the block to the turbo and all that good stuff. Do you think you could do a write-up or something? Any info would be appreciated.

-Derek

iceberg319

vvti, what?
Apr 6, 2005
NJ
www.cardomain.com
for NA-t youll need all the electronics from a GTE

ECU
Wiring Harness
coil packs
CPS
o2 sensor
fuel injectors
ignitor
fuel pressure regulator
afm

for the knock sensors you have to wire it so they read off the same sensor. this must be done really good so that you dont have trouble in the future with it throwing a code. NAs have 1 knock sensor, Turbos have 2

rabid chimp makes an oil line kit
uses a T for the return at the oil pressure sender and comes with a -10 bung to be welded on the oil pan

im from north jersey.....closer to nyc

Last edited:

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
I've always admired that car, iceberg. Very nice!

How reliable is that setup? If I go NA-T that is the route I would want to take if I don't swap for a complete GTE.

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
iceberg319 said:
for NA-t youll need all the electronics from a GTE

ECU
Wiring Harness
coil packs
CPS
o2 sensor
fuel injectors
ignitor
fuel pressure regulator
afm

for the knock sensors you have to wire it so they read off the same sensor. this must be done really good so that you dont have trouble in the future with it throwing a code. NAs have 1 knock sensor, Turbos have 2

rabid chimp makes an oil line kit
uses a T for the return at the oil pressure sender and comes with a -10 bung to be welded on the oil pan

im from north jersey.....closer to nyc

Why do you need the fpr from the turbo?
Also, with the knock sensor, it would be easier to just add a second knock sensor. That way you will have no problems with wiring issues.

iceberg319

vvti, what?
Apr 6, 2005
NJ
www.cardomain.com
ive been driving it since december and no problems so far...only problem is find a clutch to hold the power

iirc the fpr from a turbo is a 1:1 rising rate fpr, i dont know if u can easily add a second knock sensor because you would have to drill and tap the block.....not easily done with the motor in the car, provision are there tho

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
From the info Ive found you dont necessarily need all the GTE electronics to turbo the GE block. Im in the middle of turboing mine right now and plan on using my NA electronics. It does require some additional tuning of course, but I think it is definitely doable.

Your car looks very nice, very clean. Did you just retorque your headgasket or did you put in a mhg with your setup? How much boost are you running? Did you use the stock turbo cars oil cooler? And the in the faqs on supraforums it says you need pcv/isc hard and soft lines and the ps reservoir and lines did you use those or just the NA? Sorry for so many questions but Im just curious of your setup since I should be finishing mine up over the course of the next month or two.

Oh yeah and did you port your manifold(s)? I decided last night to take mine off and do some clean up on them with my dremel

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
ah, almost 12psi thats very nice, especially on an na block with an OEM hg. Are you depending on simply the GTE electronics for tuning or are you using any add ons with your setup? Im using a 2mm cometic hg for my project in anticipation of running high boost levels on an upgraded turbo (of course) eventually. I want around 400 whp and I think the NA block is capable of it, maybe not with the NA electronics but it is def possible.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
well I plan on sticking with the w58 for now and then later swapping it out for the r154. Ive ridden in a mkii with a little over 350whp and he was still using his w58 so I think it should hold together well until I start eclipsing the 300whp mark.

Are you still using your TRD clutch? How is it holding up at 12psi? I think im going to go with the ACT unit for my setup Ill probably buy a GTE clutch disk and use their NA pp.

iceberg319

vvti, what?
Apr 6, 2005
NJ
www.cardomain.com
trd clutch isnt holding WOT at 4th or 5th, 3rd is a toss up...sometimes it wants to hold sometimes itll jus slip

im lookin into either a CM stage 4, SPEC stage 3+, or a Clutchnet carbon disk with Stage 3 PP....not sure yet