My Old 1G-GTE Mk3 Supra

Ga70

The 1G Hotness
May 8, 2006
Tampa Fl.
Clueless;940317 said:
how did you get that car to sound like that? Just an exhaust?

its more so the motor and the turbos toyota created. every other 1g i've listened too on other Supra sites many from Australia sounded very similar. not saying a 7m wouldn't make a sound like that but a 2liter inline six cylinder is very unique.

RyDeFly

Aug 5, 2006
Westminster, CO
Got any links to the aussie sites?

I'd conjecture that the sound comes from a mismatched length between the pipes that connect the twins to the elbow. One bank of pistons (prob. 1,2 & 3) has a longer path to the exhaust, and the delay in the pulses create a sound kinda like a "Boxer Lite".

I just can't find any pictures of the manifold itself to confirm. Its buried under too many things to see clearly in engine bay shots...

Ga70

The 1G Hotness
May 8, 2006
Tampa Fl.
RyDeFly;955471 said:
Got any links to the aussie sites?

I'd conjecture that the sound comes from a mismatched length between the pipes that connect the twins to the elbow. One bank of pistons (prob. 1,2 & 3) has a longer path to the exhaust, and the delay in the pulses create a sound kinda like a "Boxer Lite".

I just can't find any pictures of the manifold itself to confirm. Its buried under too many things to see clearly in engine bay shots...

you want exhaust manifold pictures or intake manifold?

Ga70

The 1G Hotness
May 8, 2006
Tampa Fl.
Silvia_191.jpg

this is when i took off some of the piping to clean it out. the rubber bushings were destroyed and went to toyota and they had them which was nice.if i find more ill post them for ya

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
hey man i used to own a 1ggte 5 spd it was a great car man. it was fun to drive and caught alot of peoples attention. i have a dyno vid i will try to load it for you guys to see.... it only made 189hp completely stock but it was good on gas and fun as hell to drive. i eventually sold mine to this asshole and he tried to lie his way into selling it. but anyways nice car.

RyDeFly

Aug 5, 2006
Westminster, CO
Ga70;958626 said:
Damn heat shield...

But the pic does clear things up... the turbos are spread quite far from each other. Meaning cylinders 4,5,6 have a shorter exhaust path than the first three, and since the firing order of L6s alternates between the banks, every other exhaust pulse is "offset". So... tiny engine, but the pulse pattern covers it up nicely.

Ga70

The 1G Hotness
May 8, 2006
Tampa Fl.
ya i meant to remove that exhaust shield at one point. If i remember correctly the rear turbo was on its way i think. i could hear it surge every now and then.