My New To Me Supra Things I did, Things Still Needed.

bestsupraever

Nov 14, 2015
Florida
Hi All, I got my Supra a few weeks ago(see Introduction Section), 1987 Turbo Automatic No Targa. It is in excellent shape, no rust anywhere, no dings, dents or paint peeling. 64800 original miles. When I got it it needed a few items taken care of. The master power window switch Passenger side did not open the window, so I found a good switch on eb and installed it, works perfect now, an added bonus is the switch came from an 89, so it is lit, the 87 did not light up. While I was in the door, I replaced the power lock switch which was broke up inside the switch. Now it works perfect. The AC needed a bit of r12, it was down about a few ounces. So I checked for leaks, found a few minute ones in the o rings at the connections, evacuated the freon, replaced o rings with neoprene, pulled a vacumm for a few hours, and refilled with r12. Cold as Ice now, and seems to be holding perfectly.
Now for the big job, the center valve cover was leaking into the spark plug wells. That was more than I felt that I wanted to tackle, so I took it to the Dealer(yes I know the prices are insane, but I found a dealer near me that has an older tech there that has been fixing supras since they came out), So I trusted him to do a good job, he did a fantastic job, Replaced all 3 valve cover gaskets, NGK Platinum Plugs, Wires, All 3 drive belts, and checked timing belt while he was in there, found out it was done at 59k miles. Yes it did cost me, but he did give me a substantial discount under book price, and used all toyota oem parts. Car runs great now.
Issues left to be dealt with.
1,Brake Master Cylinder is getting weak. (Pedal slips slowly down when stopped at light). Doesn't reach floor, but definitely need replace or rebuild.
It seems it is impossible to get a Toyota New Replacement, even extremely tough to find a reman, I might add my system is ABS. But I found a
cardone Reman on EB and I will give it a try next week between football games.
2, Not 100% sure but I think the shocks could use to be replaced, Just by age and miles, also a tough part to find new oem, TEMS SYSTEM Shocks. So I will be looking into what and where I can get new shocks that will still function with the TEMS system, as I want to keep it.

Everything else is top notch mechanically, and cosmetically.

Mods for the future will be, Nav Headunit with Backup camera, under seat powered amp, ( The original speakers have been replaced with kicker's that fit the stock mountings), but as you all know, the bass is sorely lacking. I don't want to blow the hatch off, just round it out a bit.
Any ideas on any of these projects will be appreciated.
Luck To All--Semper Fi--Jack1987  Toyota Supra Engine bay frt1.JPG

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Glad to see you are taking care of what seems to be a well preserved car.

I'm always a fan of using genuine parts when able to but if what you say is true, finding an aftermarket replacement can't be that hard. I just checked RockAuto.com and they have two options for master cylinders with ABS. One comes with the reservoir and one doesn't.

As for TEMS shocks, your only aftermarket option is Tokico shocks, specifically the Tokico Illumina II's. They can be a bit hard to get a hold of, I would check this thread out. They seem to have found a source for them right now: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...hold-of-Tokico-Illumina-II-TEMS-shocks/page14

Hope that helps a bit. Be sure to search this site, there is a LOT of information to be found!
Good luck with the new Supra.