My new 7MGE

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I did have a 7MGE build thread, but that motor is now gone.

I picked up a good running 86.5 in trade for some help with a 2JZ swap.

So I'll be posting about the engine itself here. The previous owner had just had it swapped in by a local shop. It was a cressida motor JDM motor, from what I can tell. It was converted over to Supra for the swap.

I have to smog it first, so I don't plan on doing much right now except make it look clean.

Here it is when I took delivery:

p1482074_1.jpg

Current mods:

- HKS Exhaust (65mm)
- HKS Intake
- Bolt On Test Pipe (935)

Plans:

- Fix ACIS system
- Cold air intake
- metal intake pipe
- paint/clean engine

Last edited:

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
Subscribed, Very interested in this thread.
A few Concerns/comments

1. This being an N/A motor, It could use all the extra bolts on for power possible..Not interested in a set of Adj. Cam gears or better flowing headers/Exhaust ? ?

2. Whats wrong with the ACIS ?

Also..You still need the ARP head bolts you messaged me about 935?

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I have to pass smog first, then we can start talking other mods.

For the ACIS, not sure. I assumed it wasn't hooked up right. After a quick look, it seems ok, but the VSV is not letting vacuum through. I'll have to double check that setup and test the VSV to see if it is bad.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Picked up a super rare HKS NA exhaust system. I traded it for a couple of parts laying around.

It was really dirty and nasty, so I gave it a bath and a fresh paint job. Will post videos and pics when it's installed.

p1487161_1.jpg

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
935motorsports;1487161 said:
Picked up a super rare HKS NA exhaust system. I traded it for a couple of parts laying around.

It was really dirty and nasty, so I gave it a bath and a fresh paint job. Will post videos and pics when it's installed.

p1488498_1.jpg

Very nice find..So just curious on hp goals and whatnot.
You Hoping for just a bit quicker of a n/a or n/a beast ?

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
No goals at this point. I've never had an MK3 NA before, they were always turbo.

So I'm just trying to clean up the engine bay first. If it's going to be NA, it might as well be clean. The engine is pretty fresh and has lots of potential.

So this evening, the exhaust was installed. I whipped up a quick test pipe since I didn't have a good cat laying around. I do intend to have a stock cat on there though, for the smog that is upcoming.

p1488735_1.jpg

I have had an HKS 2.5" system before, but this one is not the same. I'm trying to figure out which one I have. I know that there was a 60mm system and a 65mm system.

Here is a quick video:

It's actually surprisingly quiet considering that it has no cat. It should be really nice once the cat is installed once again.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I have also started the slow process of removing the aluminum parts, cleaning them, and giving them a quick coat of cheap aluminum paint. Here is the Y pipe:

p1488736_1.jpg

I took some parts from my old 7mge mk2, 8mm wires, and hks cap (cheap copy):

p1488736_2.jpg

I put on the HKS intake, to match the exhaust (remember those old HKS stages?). The heat shield was made really quick out of some spare sheet metal laying around. I wanted to keep heat away from the air filter. Keep in mind this is not the old 2 layer HKS dirt flow. This is the newer 3 layer filter that does not let as much dirt through as the original "test" done years ago.

p1488736_3.jpg

After a 20 mile drive home, I checked temps by touch. The AFM and intake filter were mildly cold to touch. The heat shield itself was warm (This was at night). So, it seems to be doing it's job. It was made using the stock mounting points. I'll have to get some temp readings with and without, to provide some good data.

As for performance, it was *slightly* better. I'm glad it wasn't 10 years ago and I had just spend $800 on these mods. I can feel the difference over 4000, but nothing that gets me really excited.

Last edited:

Lienhop Photo

Aug 3, 2009
Wilmington NC
WOW a NA build im gona watch this. Im gona build up my na to learn to autox in it sure looks good. Quick ?. I think i saw u didnt have power goals. R u planning on getting it dynoed at all.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
No engine updates, but finally took an in car video of the HKS exhaust. It's very quiet, even with the test pipe.

The revs keep going up and down because the road was wet and 2nd gear was not very happy. The squeaking is the pedals, they were all wet.