My long overdue build thread

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
My car is a 1991 JDM Spec R supra. I had it imported from japan with 90,000 km and it was completely stock. I got it cheap because the exteriour was in need of a fresh coat of paint.
pictures097ll6.jpg

A low speed accident with a forklift and a falling pallet ruined what was a great body. The fender was replaced, but the original was in much better condition.
pictures092ak3.jpg

I drove the car stock for two months before winter set in. I was not sure what i wanted to do to the car but i new i was not leaving it stock. Countless hours of research led me to supramania. This is the first and only high performance car i have ever owned and when i started tearing it apart i new VERY little about cars. I relied on Supramania and two friends for everything. I set a budget of $10,000 for a single turbo and supporting mods.

Stock motor with a HKS BOV.
day1001ht1.jpg

I tore the motor apart by myself for the most part. The engine looked to be in great shape.
day5017ik9.jpg

Tear down complete, and 2jz water pump installed.
rcts001cx4.jpg

This were things got interesting. My machine shop really dropped the ball with my head. It took them three months to do a resurfacing, 3 way valve job, and install my new valve springs and retainers.
I got the head back on a thursday night, and my car was booked in for HKS v-pro the next monday.
I have no build pics because me and two friends had three days to completely rebuild my car.
By this time my parts list had grown asternomicaly and went WAY over budget.
parts list:

Fuel System:
MTR 680cc injectors and Rail
dual walbros and MTR dual pump hanger
dual -6 an feeds
aeromotive afpr

Turbo setup:
Greddy manifold
Greddy T-78 33D
Hks style wastegate
24X12X4 FMIC
3" hardpipes
HKS BOV

Engine:
Oem head gasket
ARP head studs
solid motor mounts
Crower 272 cams, springs, and retainers
Hks Cam gears
Driftmotion 2j pulleys
Greddy Timing belt

Drivetrain:
4.3 LSD
Jawsgear 1 peice driveshaft
Jun lightweight flywheel
RPS max clutch
Short shifter
clutch hardline

Suspension:
Nylon subframe spacers
Eibach lowering springs
Cusco front strut bar
suspension techniques sway bars
sway bar endlinks

Cooling system:
2j water pump
koyo rad
Electric fans

Electronics:
Blitz Dual sbc spec R boost controller
Greddy turbo timer
HKS DLI
Saga Gauges

and the rest:
gredy oil filter relocation
oil cooler
gracer aero
gredy oil catch can
full 3" xhaust
russel brake lines
powerslot rotors

Here is what the car now looks like
pic257mb7.jpg

After all that i cant find more current pictures of my car :icon_mad:

Last edited:

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Sounds like a great build and you need to get some pictures up ASAP. Hopefully I will see the car one day as you are in Alberta as well. BTW there is a section for builds on the main page. I am sure a mod will move it this thread.

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
10secdream;1104868 said:
Sounds like a great build and you need to get some pictures up ASAP. Hopefully I will see the car one day as you are in Alberta as well. BTW there is a section for builds on the main page. I am sure a mod will move it this thread.

I new we had a build section but i guessed i missed it.
pics are fixed.

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
I forgot to mention the car is running HKS V-Pro. The car is still currently untuned, however V-pro is a self learning system.

Recently i Bought a MP T-61 from Rob's group buy. .70A/R cold side and .68A/R hot side.
pic261rx0.jpg

pic265zb6.jpg

This turbo feels like it makes very similar power to the T-78 but it spools almost 1500rpm earlyr. I see positive boost around 2300rpm, and full boost by 3800-4000rpm. The t-61 is an extremely fun turbo on a 1jz. Boost comes on very smooth and steady.

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
10secdream;1104874 said:
Car looks great. How much whp and what psi? Also how is the spool on that big T78?

The car has never been on a dyno. I have ran 19 psi with open exhaust and 109 race gas.
The t-78 started spooling at 4500 and full boost just over 5000 rpm. It hit very hard!
The car is not tuned so advancing the timing would have helped a bit but it simply wasn't fun to drive inless u were WOT at the top of third gear.

Randy (because i can) is running a t-61 at 18psi and runs at 12.7 and made 420 rwhp.
I also run a t-61 at 18 and at 12.6 so i assume i should be around 420rwhp as well.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
First of all Sweet car, nice build and awesome parts.

I would be very very carefull with a standalone and Autotune. Its a great idea but its normally only used for fine tuning of a map and not from scratch. I have seen a car lose and engine with some one tryingot use the auto tune to get it tuned.

Save the the engine and all the $$ you put into it and get it tuned right first then let the auto tune a just for changes is good gas bad gas and summer winter. I have not experience with a V-pro I understand there very very good but I would still be carefull.

Again sweet car I'm sure its a plast to drive.

Jeremy

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
Yes the car is goin to reg to be tuned.
I did not plan on running 18psi. I simply ran open dp on a 11 psi 44mm wg and it overboosts to 18 psi. the AFR is 12.00-12.1 and i run a 50/50 mix of 109 and 92 octane.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
jz*supra;1104875 said:
I forgot to mention the car is running HKS V-Pro. The car is still currently untuned, however V-pro is a self learning system.

Recently i Bought a MP T-61 from Rob's group buy. .70A/R cold side and .68A/R hot side.
pic261rx0.jpg

pic265zb6.jpg

This turbo feels like it makes very similar power to the T-78 but it spools almost 1500rpm earlyr. I see positive boost around 2300rpm, and full boost by 3800-4000rpm. The t-61 is an extremely fun turbo on a 1jz. Boost comes on very smooth and steady.

Nice build. Have the same T61 here, this MP turbo is just amazing. I have a 13 psi tial wastegate, and I see full boost around 4300rpm but it's rock solid man.

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
I was very close to buyin the MP T-70. But the T-61 seemed like a more logical choice since i wanted something small that would spool early. I assume when you say full boost by 4300 thats with full exhaust. My Blitz exhaust is very restirctive and ive been trying to make a trip to vancouver to get Randy (BIC) to do a full custom 4" setup on my car.

Here's a few pics of the old and new cluster.
cluster003iv0.jpg

Grinding out a cluster to make gauges fit is a long and boring process.
I love the gauges and the responces i get when people see them but it makes removing the cluster a serious pain.
saga001iq7.jpg

I have a lot more pics to upload but my camera won't upload them :icon_evil