My little project

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Well guys here is my plan, a lot of it is pretty much done, well I have the parts anyway. Still need a few more pieces like for the fuel setup and exhaust for example, but Im almost there. Any suggestions on anything else I should add or anything on the list I dont need. I posted my list up in the turbo forums but didnt get much feedback, Im interested in hearing your views on it

Plan:
Turbocharge my NA motor using stock electronics.

Parts Needed:

New JDM Motor

Mechanical:
Headgasket - Cometic 2mm 935motorsports.com
Turbo - stock ct26
Oil Lines - Rabidchimp.com CT-26 Oil Lines
Coolant lines - already there
intercooler - stock intercooler
intercooler piping - Intercooler and Lower Piping
Upper IC(CRX COLD AIR INTAKE(2))

downpipe - Because i can DDP bicperformance.com
intake piping
Exhaust manifold - stock porting it today
Blow Off Valve - HKS
Misc - Intercooler Couplers and T-bolts
Gaskets
Catch Can
Boost Gauge
EGT Gauge
Air/Fuel ratio Gauge
Oil cooler and Intercooler brackets
PCV/ISC hard and soft lines
Power Steering Reservoir and lines
Oil Cooler
GTE oil pump

Fuel:
Injectors - gte 440cc
FPR - Stock Turbo FPR
fuel pump - walbro
SAFC

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Why a new jdm motor?

Just rebuild your existing motor. JDM motors are not any better then what you have in your car.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
yeah but getting a rebuilt 7mge is a lot more expensive than buying a low mileage jdm motor. I know that the two motors are virtually identical, but for me it was a matter of cost and the fact that my motor came with a 6month unlimited mile warranty. Besides I already have the jdm motor in my garage sitting on a stand mhg in place. I also have most of the turbo components gauges etc. Plus to aid in the ease of reinstallation I wanted to leave the stock motor in the car until I was ready to swap in the NA-T motor

Any thoughts on the turbo setup though? I guess it must be a well put together list then

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
"GTE oil pump" ? the oil pumps for turbo and NA are the same

PS: Yea rod knock sucks, mine died of RK too, I had a turbo car so I bought a JDM NA motor and converted it to turbo cuz it cheaper and more powerfull, then I threw a T66 on it and blew the hell out of the fucker, shes still running strong =)

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Thats a pretty nice list. Im trying to compile just about the same parts as you and even go with the stock ge electronics aswell.

Also the oil pumps are different, the turbo one has bigger gears to flow more.You also have the added flexiblity to shim you pump, over the wimpy flow of the n/a pump.

What kind of horsepower goals are you trying to achieve with this setup.Also i dont see a mention of a tranny swap or clutch upgrade.

canadianbacon

Extra Crispy
Dec 10, 2005
Coquitlam, BC
PorterzSupra said:
"GTE oil pump" ? the oil pumps for turbo and NA are the same

PS: Yea rod knock sucks, mine died of RK too, I had a turbo car so I bought a JDM NA motor and converted it to turbo cuz it cheaper and more powerfull, then I threw a T66 on it and blew the hell out of the fucker, shes still running strong =)
Actually, the NA oil pump is smaller in circumfence. The turbo one looks like the Star Trek Enterprise, and has a much larger head on it. Also the stock oil pan is a little bit deeper on the turbo models. I found this out when I built my first NA motor. Good luck with the project. Lots of work=lots of fun.:biglaugh:

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Fuzz420 said:
Thats a pretty nice list. Im trying to compile just about the same parts as you and even go with the stock ge electronics aswell.

Also the oil pumps are different, the turbo one has bigger gears to flow more.You also have the added flexiblity to shim you pump, over the wimpy flow of the n/a pump.

What kind of horsepower goals are you trying to achieve with this setup.Also i dont see a mention of a tranny swap or clutch upgrade.

I see we are on the same page on many levels, but to answer your questions. My horsepower goals are atleast between 400-500whp. I am a speed freak, hell my dad has had me riding motorcycles (with him at the time) since I was like 4yrs old. I even have a pic of me at two sitting atop a bike alone, so I guess it runs in the blood, lol. But I have promised my dad that I will race his GSXR1000 on the highway and whoop his ass (he is def down for it, lets just say he is the type that is willing to run from cops while on the bike and slip between two cars side by side while going about 150mph. He's never been caught though). I think that amt of power will do it. For the time being I do plan on just upgrading my clutch until I upgrade the turbo from the stock CT26, I might just go with an upgraded version of it (ya know get it rebuilt 57trim or 60trim) and once i do that I will also do the tranny swap to the r154. Ive talked to a few of the guys in the mk2 forums and have asked their opinions on clutches and they seem to be happy with either spec or custom clutches, but I think I will go with an ACT clutch. I come from a DSM background and Ive heard nothing but bad things about spec clutches, the supra guys love them but I hear about the same problems that they are having with the spec clutches from the 4g63 crowd (just not as frequent) and quite frankly dont want to waste neither my time or my money with them. As far as the custom clutches go I dont think there is anyone in my area that does something like that. So I was planning on going with their upgraded pp for the GE and their clutch disk for the GTE

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
suggestion

switch to turbo electronics, you won't have to deal with crazy tuning and 7mge limitations. It will run as it should and you can run 10 psi safely before you even have to deal with timing retard.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
935motorsports said:
suggestion

switch to turbo electronics, you won't have to deal with crazy tuning and 7mge limitations. It will run as it should and you can run 10 psi safely before you even have to deal with timing retard.

I think I will switch to the GTEs electronics eventually, but I think that the less that I do during the initial transition the better off that I will be. That way if something goes wrong during the initial shakedown it will be easier to tell what it is. Besides with the thicker headgasket that Im using I dont think the timing will be too crucial, not at first anyway.

Fuzz420

1TuffSupra said:
I see we are on the same page on many levels, but to answer your questions. My horsepower goals are atleast between 400-500whp. I am a speed freak, hell my dad has had me riding motorcycles (with him at the time) since I was like 4yrs old. I even have a pic of me at two sitting atop a bike alone, so I guess it runs in the blood, lol. But I have promised my dad that I will race his GSXR1000 on the highway and whoop his ass (he is def down for it, lets just say he is the type that is willing to run from cops while on the bike and slip between two cars side by side while going about 150mph. He's never been caught though). I think that amt of power will do it. For the time being I do plan on just upgrading my clutch until I upgrade the turbo from the stock CT26, I might just go with an upgraded version of it (ya know get it rebuilt 57trim or 60trim) and once i do that I will also do the tranny swap to the r154. Ive talked to a few of the guys in the mk2 forums and have asked their opinions on clutches and they seem to be happy with either spec or custom clutches, but I think I will go with an ACT clutch. I come from a DSM background and Ive heard nothing but bad things about spec clutches, the supra guys love them but I hear about the same problems that they are having with the spec clutches from the 4g63 crowd (just not as frequent) and quite frankly dont want to waste neither my time or my money with them. As far as the custom clutches go I dont think there is anyone in my area that does something like that. So I was planning on going with their upgraded pp for the GE and their clutch disk for the GTE

My personal goals are about 300whp, i dont want to push it much but it seems the n/a block can take the power. Im also looking at the spec clutches for the w-58, they have plenty of selection to meet my torque requirements so i think thats the route for me.As far as gettin 4-500 hp to race your father, which probly wont be enough to win, is the only tuning device u have listed is a s-afc.We are tuning option limited being on the ge electronics, i personally would like to go with the eman blue to tune,so i will have the peace of mind it wont blow up on me.From what i read on it u can pull up to i believe 3 degrees timing with the blue, so thats a nice little thing so u can run more than 12psi.Now if i were to somehow switch electronics to gte i would go the maftpro route.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Fuzz420 said:
My personal goals are about 300whp, i dont want to push it much but it seems the n/a block can take the power. Im also looking at the spec clutches for the w-58, they have plenty of selection to meet my torque requirements so i think thats the route for me.As far as gettin 4-500 hp to race your father, which probly wont be enough to win, is the only tuning device u have listed is a s-afc.We are tuning option limited being on the ge electronics, i personally would like to go with the eman blue to tune,so i will have the peace of mind it wont blow up on me.From what i read on it u can pull up to i believe 3 degrees timing with the blue, so thats a nice little thing so u can run more than 12psi.Now if i were to somehow switch electronics to gte i would go the maftpro route.

Yeah 400-500 might not be enough but it will def be enough to scare the shit out of him. I might just put some DR on the back and take him from a dig. He has massive traction problems with that bike especially with the mods he has done to it, ive seen him smoke the tire at 60mph while on the highway. I know that just the SAFC isnt going to be enough to tune the car all the way to 4-500 hp, but it is just a temp thing until I swap over to the GTE electronics or go with a standalone. I do believe that 300whp is attainable on the GEs electronics though.

As far as knowing the history of the JDM motor, you are right I dont know the complete history of it, but that 6 month unlimited mileage warranty sure makes me feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with it. Plus they gave me the numbers from the compression and leakdown tests that they ran on it prior to shipping it out to me.

Fuzz420

null_q said:
Where was it you purchased your JDM? and how much did you pay for it?

yes i would also like to know. I purchased mine from http://www.risingsunengines.com/ with a very similar warrranty, but they wont cover boosted or nitroused motors that werent ment to be.They welded this nickle peice on the back of the head to tell if i was boosting it or such.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
I got it from some company on EBAY, Im not sure what the name is off the top of my head. All of that info is in my parents garage with the motor (about an hr away). Next time I go down there Ill look the info up and let you guys know. I dont remember the warranty mentioning anything about a nickle piece on the head. Besides the melting point for nickel is almost 2700* F so Im not sure how that could be insurance for them. If anything ever gets that hot ur whole motor will probably be toast anyway. Maybe they mixed the nickel with something else.