My Honda's transmission broke...

greg88

May 14, 2005
Lowell, Arkansas, United States
Does anyone have a rough idea of the cost of repairs? It's a 2002 Accord.

The transmission broke when we were in Fayetville, AR for Christmas and it has sat there ever since. Now my GF's dad is moving and I need to do something with the car. I'm planning to have GF's dad drive it to the dealership and leave it there. I can come get it when the repairs are complete and drive back to Texas. If the car can be fixed for under $2000 then I can resell it for twice that amount.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
5 spd Manual or 4 spd Automatic?

Cost of repairs is difficult to estimate with no indication of what is actually wrong with it.

A decent replacement tranny looks to run in the 600$, although im sure you could find one cheaper.

It sounds as though you will be having a shop fix it.

Example of Labor Hours
DX Sedan Manual
Replace - 6 hrs
Overhaul - 10 hrs
Automatic
Replace - 8 hrs
Overhaul - 12 hrs

Now do the math for your labor costs.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
lol you beat me to it ..
customer :"mechanic my car is broke can you tell me how much to repair it ? "

greg88

May 14, 2005
Sorry guys...
In my case "broke" means randomly slipping in and out of gear with check engine light on. Piratetip, $600 for a new tranny and $1,200 labor (4spd auto) would be great. Unfortunately, as I'm so far away, I think the dealership ($$$:cry:) would be my best bet. I won't be able to look around for a reputable independent shop.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I wouldn't consider that broken, although it depends on what the diagnosis reveals.

greg88

May 14, 2005
Piratetip;1239789 said:
I wouldn't consider that broken, although it depends on what the diagnosis reveals.

Yeah, you're right. I tend to use the term "broke" when I actually mean "damaged beyond my level of expertise". Someone I work with suggested that the torque converter could have gone out.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Find a new trans and swap it yourself. Its not that difficult, ive done it in an automatic integra and 2 accords. they only weight like 120 lbs so you and a buddy should be able to throw it on w/o a trans jack, drain the fluid b4 you do it, makes it lighter.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
If it's the v6 accord theres a chance its one of the shift solenoids I believe..I had to replace one on my friends accord. Give more info next time...

greg88

May 14, 2005
lewis15498;1239816 said:
Find a new trans and swap it yourself. Its not that difficult, ive done it in an automatic integra and 2 accords.

That was my original plan but I just don't have the time between school and work.

Poodles said:
Find out why the check engine light is on?

Between the blinking D4 light and the awful noises coming from the tranny, I don't have much doubt. It was only a matter of time. 2001 Accords have either a recall or service bulletin for this same problem... I can't remember which. 2002 Accords got left out even though they have the exact same problem.