my first painted rims :)

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
well im painting this as a project they are moegi r7
and if anyone need tips on rim painting just ask me and i'll post the steps :)

BEFORE:

p1434598_1.jpg

AFTER:

p1434598_2.jpg

Steps are

1) take out all the paint from the rim, and then wash it with soup and water
2) wait until water dries and clean it with a towel
3) put one coat of primer and after it dries put the second coat of primer
4) sand the second coat of primer with a sand paper of 1000, only the tears if there is any and little details.
5) put one coat of the color desired for the rims, you must be really detailed on this because you are going to put only one coat of color.
6) give like 4 minutes and while the color dries put one coat of gloss.(so the color will shine )
7) after 15 minutes put the second coat of clear coat.

and you are done
wait at least 48 hrs before putting the rims back in your car/truck :)

Last edited:

NokaoiMK3

Drifter..
Jul 27, 2008
Gilbert Arizona
Wow those came out looking really really good!! Was the color rattle canned or spayed with a legit spray gun? That paint looks like the duplicolor metalcast..

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
SilverSupraT;1435297 said:
please post how bad the chipping is after 1 month, then 3 months.

They look good though, nice work.

If you don't get the lip and lug holes really good, you are in for some serious chipping.

I learned this from first set of wheels I painted a few years ago. They are still perfect except for the lips and lug hole space. Too many times taking the tires and lugsnuts off will definitely show you the spots you should've spent more time on.

It's always about prep work.

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
well i painted the rims for a nissan 240sx s14 of a friend

and he does not race it, unless we are going to the track

he just painted the car also so he is taking alot of care hehe

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Ive painted rims in the past before and have never experienced chipping, even going on dirt roads occasionally

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i love the duplicolor wheel coat. did my rims with it too. i do have to say it holds up real well, but the clear tends to yellow. this time i did it without the clear. i kinda like the satin look anyway.

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
same rims i got, and same color. but the guy i bought them off of, decided to do a cheap job and didn't sand down the wheels or nothin. So there chipping and all that good stuff...

So either i finish them or try and sell them, which i need money so if anybody ones them LOL

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
dbsupra90;1435812 said:
i love the duplicolor wheel coat. did my rims with it too. i do have to say it holds up real well, but the clear tends to yellow. this time i did it without the clear. i kinda like the satin look anyway.

the technique bro is to spray the clear coat while the color is drying so it will bright like they just came out from factory