My First 1989 Supra

pyrows666

Oct 11, 2009
Alviso
I guess this is where i will continue my progress with my supra... let me tell you this car is awesome... ive been having lots of fun with it!!! ..

I have not been able to smog it yet.. so yes i have been driving it with those temp stickers you get at the DMV..for almost a year now. I need to smog it and get insurance to get my tags. also by Dec. i have to pay for another years worth of REGISTRATION. The abuse i have lashed out on this supra has been constant and to my surprise, it takes the beatings as if it were to say... " IS THAT ALL YOU GOT"

On a more realistic factor, the quote "REBUILT ENGINE" is now leaking oil and has a slow coolant leak- hoses and a few other spots i can not see.. Even still the abuse continues and it takes it like a beast. I continue to keep its fluids filled and it continues to exceed my expectations... Not to mention a VERY VERY mild rod knock is has been present... Unfortunately this is a pure case of Oil contamination & neglect. Neglect because im poor and unemployed, BUT Pick n Pull Is not far.

What has been done to my supra so far...

Unfortunately I was on my way to work one day and at the time I was working Near a golf course. I was coming down the road and a HUGE rabbit ran across the street attacking my car and leaving my lower lip hanging on by a bolt. It had to come off. I am poor and cheap so i installed the next best thing with the hope it would come out like some thing out of Road Warrior..

THE HD (HOME DEPOT) LIP
p1777943_1.jpg

p1777943_2.jpg

It gives it the illusion that its really low... but the day i got a flat tire... even tow truck guys with flat beds were terrified..
p1777943_3.jpg

I decided to take the stock rims off and put some rims I thought looked good for the mean time, And was my only other option scince my tire had gone flat with no money to fix it.. 300zx rims fell out of the sky and I decided to put them on.. i dont think they look to bad... i hear its blasphemous to ride with these but... i dont care i think they look good for now. And while the wheels were off all four new rotors and pads were installed.
p1777943_4.jpg

p1777943_5.jpg

I started to stock up on parts for the supra but never really installed anything... till one day... i decided to put this to use...

HKS FMIC - I think its an old one..
p1777943_6.jpg

p1777943_7.jpg

So thats all i have done for now...
it looks like this at the moment.. in the wet scince its been raining on my satin black spray can job.
p1777943_8.jpg

Plans for the near Future.

i have many options...

i could swap the motor out for another 7MGTE with no problems and no leaks, or rod knock. Or of course a cheaper route would be to obtain the following items:

1) Full engine gasket set- Preferably FELPRO - DISCARDING the Head Gasket & Oil pan gasket
2) MLS or HKS or Cometic Head gasket.
3) Rod & main Bearings
4)ARP hardware...

Other than that.. body wise i plan to do another, once over on the paint with some satin black with some 280Z ZG fender flares.. i have seen very few Supras with these on and, let me tell you... talk about aggressive.. It will take me a million years to get the tires and rims to compliment such fender flares, but its all worth the wait.. If i ever make a decision.

pictures are coming soon.

Last edited:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Sucks to hear about the rod knock and such, I'd rebuild it with the stock HG unless you really plan on throwing some power to it. I'm sure someone will chime in here with what a stock HG will hold up to and the MLS as well. Clean car but I'm not really feeling the HD lip lol

mk3_4me

Apr 24, 2011
Sandy Eggo
I kind of like the HD lip. Lol. Gives it a jagged/aggressive look, IMO. Maybe try painting it, though. A bit too much contrast between the blacks. lol. Clean ride, none-the-less.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
is your car gloss or flat black? and a proper lip would look sooo much better ;) and give your car an overall clean look. just my .02 cents

Dubley

Nov 17, 2011
Georgia
I have to admit that I like the lip. I want to do the Z flares on my car too even though alot of people disagree with me. But cool. Good luck with whichever route you decide to take.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Car looks great, the ZX wheels looks pretty damn good too. I do not like the lip at all, my bro did a home depot lip on his Supra too, but you would of NEVER guessed it because it looked stock.

The stance is pretty nice too.

P.S. You can get an aggressive wheel set up without fender flares xD

Last edited:

pyrows666

Oct 11, 2009
Alviso
IndigoMKII;1777946 said:
Sucks to hear about the rod knock and such, I'd rebuild it with the stock HG unless you really plan on throwing some power to it. I'm sure someone will chime in here with what a stock HG will hold up to and the MLS as well. Clean car but I'm not really feeling the HD lip lol

@ IndigoMKII Yeah, there is not alot i can do at the moment.. more than one person has told me that i should be fine with a stock HG. i was just afraid to blow the gasket in general, i wouldnt be able to afford to change it if it did blow in the near future. Then again the car is still running great with all the problems. It would be nice if i could get the parts i need to rebuild it the way i want to. The HD lip has been on the car for a while now, and has kinda blended into the car.. I would love to have a different lip! I hope i get this job im after..

mk3_4me;1777948 said:
I kind of like the HD lip. Lol. Gives it a jagged/aggressive look, IMO. Maybe try painting it, though. A bit too much contrast between the blacks. lol. Clean ride, none-the-less.
@mk3_4me Thanks.. i usually get a 50/50 of people who like the lip and people who do not like the lip. I think if re-did the lip and took my time with it i could get it to look just a little better.

Dubley;1777967 said:
I have to admit that I like the lip. I want to do the Z flares on my car too even though alot of people disagree with me. But cool. Good luck with whichever route you decide to take.
@Dubley - THANKS MAN!

xzeror;1777955 said:
is your car gloss or flat black? and a proper lip would look sooo much better ;) and give your car an overall clean look. just my .02 cents
@ zxeror My car has been Rattle Canned flat black.

Supra28;1777985 said:
Car looks great, the ZX looks pretty damn good too. I do not like the lip at all, my bro did a home depot lip on his Supra too, but you would of NEVER guessed it because it looked stock.

The stance is pretty nice too.

P.S. You can get an aggressive wheel set up without fender flares xD

@Supra28 - What kind of rims wheel set up did you have in mind?