My car hit the track last night...

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
So, my son took my MK3 to the track last night to see what he could pull for time slips. Forged internals, 550s, T67, Lexus MAF, stock ECU, running about 10-11psi. Needs new plugs...breaking down a bit at the top of each gear.

Tech made him wear a fire jacket because my turbo is not "stock", but didn't say anything about him not wearing a helmet. LOL.

He only ran it three times...first run was just to see what it was gong to do at the line...16 something or other babying it. Second run, no traction in 1st and 2nd, lifted in 4th because he knew if he broke 14.0 he'd have to wear a helmet -- 14.4 @ 105. Third and final run, crept off the line to avoid spinning, decent traction in 2nd and 3rd, lifted again in 4th -- 14.1 @ 106. I'm happy...easily a 13 second car with good plugs and traction. :D

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
not bad for lifting in 4th. More importantly, what was it doing in the 1/8th? 60ft times? Running any kind of drag radial, or street tires?
BTW, I got a cheapie helmet from Walmart for $39.95. Looks goofie, but it works for the dragstrip.
Pull the plugs and check the gap on all of them before you just replace them. Rule that out first. The last time my car was breaking up on the top of 3rd and 4th my plug gaps were fine. I was running 11.7 AFR's though, and decided to fatten it up. Now running 10.8 AFR's and top end break up went away. You might be running a little lean and not know it. That T67 even at 10psi flows pretty good, and may be a little too much for your 550's. Do you have an upgraded fuel pump?

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
Suprapowaz!(2);1904288 said:
not bad for lifting in 4th. More importantly, what was it doing in the 1/8th? 60ft times? Running any kind of drag radial, or street tires?
BTW, I got a cheapie helmet from Walmart for $39.95. Looks goofie, but it works for the dragstrip.
Pull the plugs and check the gap on all of them before you just replace them. Rule that out first. The last time my car was breaking up on the top of 3rd and 4th my plug gaps were fine. I was running 11.7 AFR's though, and decided to fatten it up. Now running 10.8 AFR's and top end break up went away. You might be running a little lean and not know it. That T67 even at 10psi flows pretty good, and may be a little too much for your 550's. Do you have an upgraded fuel pump?

I'll have to look at the time slips to see what it was doing in the 1/8 and 60ft. Street tires...can't remember the brand off hand, but they're 275x40x17s.

Ya, I'll check out the plugs when I pull them. I have a AEM wideband and it's running 10.5ish WOT, so lean is not the prob. Yes, I have a Walbro 255 and a AFPR set to about 40psi.

BTW...love your avatar -- I'm a die hard Mopar guy when it comes to muscle cars. :)