my built 7m in my 89 mk3 or my 73 datsun 240z

7EMPIRE

Feb 23, 2010
Raliegh
So heres the story i have a 1989 mk3 with mint interior but the body needs some love.i bought the car with the 7mge and spun bearings.I also have my daily driver which is my 1991 mk3,it has front mount intercooler, lowering springs,greddy type s bov,afpr,walbro 255,innovate wideband lc-1.now i have never driven my 89 because i bought it when i had no money so i could never afford to do anything with it.then i came into some money and around the same time needed to buy a car.Im 19 by the way.
So word around town at that time was there was a turbo mk3 about 20 mins from my house.Kids had been trying to figure out how to steal the car to part it out.:3d_frown:.so because of the undying love i have for supras forced me to go check out the car.i pull up and car is on the side of road next to a warehouse.people told me the car was at a local tuner shop in town being built for some guy who died before they got the car done.so supposedly the shop ditched it by this warehouse.i called bullshit as soon as i heard it.but anyways i go to look at the car and its stock except for 3 inch exhaust.automatically i know this car belongs to somebody. so i look around and see this door on the side of the warehouse open.i walk in and i see this lady and ask who the supra belongs to and she says her husband and he is looking to sell it.:naughty:.
so i talk to the guy about the car and he tells me he hadnt driven the car in like a year.so im looking at the car and it has post 89 rims,tails,and steering wheel with a pre89 front bumper.and im like what year is this.the guy tells me its a 1991:evil2:but at some point in its life took a hit in the front and they repaired it with a 87 front end.:nono:.so im really liking this car at this point,then i check the mileage 89,297.....................................................WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKK!so i ask how much he wants for it and he says 2000 and she is yours.I bought the car and that was that.

I started buying parts with the plan to get a little more power and got that notorious supra itch and in 2 week period bought a apexi safc,560cc injectors, lc-1 wideband,loweringsprings,front mount,lex afm and a boost controller.then i realised i was going to put this shit on my car and just blow it up because i was not going to refresh my motor because i need my car as its my daily driver.So my good friend is like i got this built 7m i need to sell and he talked me into buying it.then i also bought a t61, 3 inch downpipe, t4 exhaust manifold,and my favorite part a 2jz intake manifold welded to a 7m plenum.so before i knew my goal reached 500hp and i still have alot more shit to buy.and i had the intention of putting all of this in my 89 because even tho its ugly and no one understands why i still have it and am putting all this money into it,its my first car and all my dreams are built around this car.
i scrap metal and mainly copper for a living.its jus me and my friend and we make alot of money at what we do.This is where the datsun comes into the story.i at the scrap yard one day unloading copper onto a cart and i see out of the corner of my eye a rusty datsun 240z on rollback going down the street and i chase it down on foot and go up to the window of the truck and tell the guy not to scrap that car.i offer to pay him more than hell make if he crushes it.I buy the car for 250 bucks with a clean title.
im tired and am going to speed this up and will post more when i wake up.back to the story.
ive always wanted a rusty datsun with a rollcage,two racing seats slammed with crazy camber and just, well you know were im going with this.
basically i really want to put my built 7m and all my parts in the datsun but i dont want to abandon my dream/goal i have with the 89.i just think a screaming 7m in a caged, slammed out 73' 240z is so much more epic.its literally the only car i like as much as mk3's
what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
7M into the 240z is a no brainer. I say take both MKIII's and yank the drivetrains. Sell both MKIII's as rollers. If you can't sell them then take 'em to the recycler and recoup some money. Get all of the rust issues cleaned up on the Datusn. Do the swap, and have some fun. Where in the hell are all the pics??? Don't tell me that you can't afford a camera either with all of those mods you bought.

How in the heck do you come up with so much copper to make alot of money doing it? Who in the world scraps a 240z at a recycler... even if it is rusted? I guess only stuff like this happens in North Carolina.

[video=youtube;IdJPVrbLOt4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdJPVrbLOt4[/video]

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
Rusty Z's should be left to die. I've owned 3 of them, and all were "not too rusty" when I started, and "Woah...there isn't much steel left here" once I started digging. Don't get me wrong, I love a 240/260/280Z probably more than the common gearhead (as it evidence by the quantity of which I've owned), but I've also learned that unless you start off with a CHERRY one, they aren't worth it. Add that to the fact that Datsun Z suspension SUCKS (I don't consider Macphearson struts to be acceptable for any performance oriented vehicle), and it needs a ton of reinforcing to take any real torque, and you've got immediate issues. I understand your craving for one, but you started with the wrong Z.

Add that to the fact that the L24/26/28 engine is VERY stout and can take anything you'd be able to throw at it and the "Why start mixing brands" arguement gets superceeded by "you're trading an orange for an orange" mentality. The only benefit of a 7M over a L28 (the 280Z motor) is the displacement, and at that point you're only talking about 200cc.

If it were me, I'd keep on the Supra and leave the Z alone. You're in for a big and expensive project if you start messing with that Datsun.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
the S30 is my favorite car of all time, hands down.. but like the fella above me said, unless it's pristine, I probably wouldn't attempt it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Suprapowaz!(2);1683682 said:
[video=youtube;IdJPVrbLOt4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdJPVrbLOt4[/video]

I've ridden shotgun in Andy's Z before... That car ruined my sense of what "fast" is. I literally screamed like a little girl when he was doing donuts in it at SILV 08...

That said, it really is a shame that Nissan doesn't build a handful of these new each year, as close as is possible to the original thing as they could.