My ashtray is stuck... Please help!!

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
Well I feel like the world's biggest idiot now... I was putting my dash back together last night and put the ashtray into its slot without putting in the metal sheet that goes above it to stop it from popping up first .
Sooo now its sitting in its hole with the back sticking up so it won't slide out... the furthest I can get it to slide out is enough to stick a finger in, thats about it.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to get it out? I need to take my dash apart again asap!

Cheers!

mazzer

Banned
May 3, 2005
st.louis,mo
i assume you put the two screws back in , that hold that bezel in place , behind said ashtray ??

try sliding a card,pocket screwdriver, or something thin in there

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
yes i did put the screws back in :S
Ive tried a screwdriver already but it was dark so I'll try again during the day so I can actually see a bit better.

If all else fails I'll just break the front off. . . .

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Ive done it before. I used a thin allen key. The ones that are "L" shaped. Pull the tray out a little then put the allen key on top of the flap. Then push it back in a little bit and push down on the allen key. Then pull out on the ashtray. Done.

I believe the front has metal behind the front rubber plate.

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
yay someone else has done it lol now I dont feel *quite* so dumb.

Cheers for the tip, I'll try it out when I get home!

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I did this also... Had to get the bf to get it out, as I had no luck... And for being such a dumb blonde, when we pulled it out, it scratched my freshly painted surround :(

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
lol ive done this also a small flat screwdriver did the trick, but i was sitting in the drivers seat feeling like an idiot for quite some time