My 87 Supra Turbo Build : Black Betty Pearl

the1daddy25

Mar 31, 2014
Sacramento
So my license is currently suspended (due to my reckless driving habits and poor luck when it comes to avoiding police)
So i debated when i found this out, maybe i'm going to use this to my advantage and build the supra. Then a week later BAM!! Rod Knock! ( shouldn't have been driving anyway..sshhh).
That's when i decided DEFINITELY going to use this time to build the supra

So this is the supra how it sat in January

Yes the headlights do open all the way

So i wrote up the plans

Engine:
Rebuild from Zumtizzle here in Sacramento including (Currently in process):
-Getting a good core 7mgte
-Pistons and Rings
-Clevite Bearings
-Surface/Bore/Hone/Polishing Crank
-New Gaskets (Cometic HG)
-Bottom End
-ARP Studs
-New Oil Pump (shimmed)
-ARP Rod Bolts
-and some other miscellaneous things
He's been making great progress so far, and he's a very busy guy, so i understanding being patient is key.

Exterior:
I really do enjoy the two tone original color, but i want something a little different for a while
So i was debating a wrap or a plasti-dip job (yes i understand the negative feedback of plasti-dip), which the dip industry has came a long way in recent years.
But I decided to go with this:
-Black Betty Pearl Dip (this camaro was done by the guy doing my car)
Should have the supra there at the end of the month/ beginning of may.

-Debating on putting the 89+ bumper that i have, haven't decided. Really dig the pre-89 bumper honestly
-Already did the 89+ taillight conversion

Interior
-Black Interior Conversion:
-Already dyed the seats, came out better than i thought honestly. Seats seemed to stiffen up, but i'm noticing them starting to soften up much more.

Want to add Red supra logo to headrest

Going to work on the dash and rest of the interior when the engine is put in

- LED Dash lights
Ordered blue LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs for my gauge cluster(hated the stock green)

Installed

Kindle Fire Install
So i routed my deck behind the dash to my glove compartment, then routed an aux cord back through to a kindle i installed into the dash.
Used a torched knife to melt the edges of the black stereo cover or whatever the heck it's called to make is fit the kindle, the it uses a ign wire to charge the battery/turn on when i turn the key. Works really well, and all wires are hidden and looks almost stock. (kept the option of a deck on glovebox becuase i sometimes get hard copies of CD's i like, so i wanted to keep that option.
Will post a better photo later

PARTS:
Purchased Already:
3 inch downpipe with elbow
Tanable Medallion Exhaust (came with vehicle)
Drilled rotors all around
Greddy Boosy Gauge
HKS Blow off valve (came with vehicle
Manual boost controller
KOYO Radiator (Came with vehicle)
Lexus AFM/ 550cc injectors (purchased a while back before engine knocked, never installed)

Planning on Purchasing:
Front Lip
FMIC and piping
New Door Panels (they each have a rip)
Coilovers
Momo Steering Wheel/Hub
Upgraded Turbo (haven't decided which)
Engine management system
Tinting all windows (5%)

My goal for this build is to have a reliable 400 HP
so any suggestions are welcome, im fairly new to supras. anything helps, no bashing please

WILL KEEP YOU GUYS UPDATED SOON WITH NEWS, PHOTOS, ETC

Last edited:

FernandoDLT

Apr 13, 2007
Texas
I got excited when I saw the two tone color combo (only one I like lol), kinda bummed to see you plasti-dip it. Any details on the dye process?

the1daddy25

Mar 31, 2014
Sacramento
slowma70;2045175 said:
very nice work so far.

Thanks brotha.

FernandoDLT;2045200 said:
Any details on the dye process?
Duplicor Vinyl and Fabric, works wonders actually. Stiffens up a bit, but give it some time, It will soften up. Between coats, brush with a soft brush to move fibers to get all angles of fibers.

the1daddy25

Mar 31, 2014
Sacramento
akito;2045475 said:
That's a dope supra! Who did you buy that from? I'd keep the pre-89 front for as long as possible :D

I actually purchased from my brother, who purchased it from a co worker at Toyota. Kicking myself in the butt deciding on the 89+ front or the pre 89, I really do like both.

the1daddy25

Mar 31, 2014
Sacramento
Small update. Ordered a new molded carpet set for the passenger area. Black:)! Decided to make my own for the cargo area, since it doesn't involve all the molding hassle. Wanted to test my skill, if it doesn't come out how I plan, then I'll order one for the cargo area