my 7mgtte MKIII project

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
well here i am. about to follow in the illustrious footsteps of of yannis-supras.......

....a twin-turbo 7MGTE.

the break-down: my car-1988 MKIII targa-top 5-speed. the goal-a twin turbo 7M. the news so far is that i just got my cherry-picker saturday and im about ready to pull my 7MGTE and acess the damage (the previous owner cranked up the boost on a manual boost controller w/o an operational boost gauge and blew all sorts of seals, cracked the exhaust, and eventually led to a damaged/dropped valve).

so the plan is to pull the motor, ascess the damage and upgrade/repair from there. will post plan and pictures as much as possible.

now just to clear up/prevent any hate: this is what i plan to accomplish. regardless of any twin .vs. single arguements or nay-sayers or haters in either direction. just to avoid any unessicary comments (even though they will still come regardless....LOL).

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
Good luck man, I always wanted to a 7m TT. Are you just going for twin turbo to go twin turbo or going twin's for hella 7m baddass-ness.

Which manifold do you plan on using alogn with turbo's?

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
thanks for all the support and comments:biglaugh:. i plan to run a parallel setup with stock turbos probably upgrading at somepoint to a low to mid range turbos.:naughty: will update as much as possibe and plan plenty of pics.

Last edited:

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
sounds like custom manifolds to me. I'm sure you know by now, but there are a couple different manifolds floating around for a tt set up. I believe there all 3 bolt Greddy style's tho, some people claim that twin ct26's are gonna take a while to hit full boost.

I always through around the thought of custom manifolds to c12's, then upgrade the turbo's as seen fit. But that was just my 2 cents.

When i first started looking into supra's before i found out about the 1jz's i always wanted to throw twins on the 7m for response & unique-ness, so i'll deff be checkin up on ya. I wanna see how things turn out.

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
carter;1412529 said:
sounds like custom manifolds to me. I'm sure you know by now, but there are a couple different manifolds floating around for a tt set up. I believe there all 3 bolt Greddy style's tho, some people claim that twin ct26's are gonna take a while to hit full boost.

I always through around the thought of custom manifolds to c12's, then upgrade the turbo's as seen fit. But that was just my 2 cents.

When i first started looking into supra's before i found out about the 1jz's i always wanted to throw twins on the 7m for response & unique-ness, so i'll deff be checkin up on ya. I wanna see how things turn out.

that maybe true about the twin ct26's but i am planning on going through suprasport.com and having them upgrade my ct26's. and im quite sure i will need a custom manifold b/c most of the ones ive seen place the turbos in an odd position. im basically going for the same setup as yannis-supras (for more and pics see celicasupra.com). but thanks for the advice and im open to any more constructive criticism:icon_razz

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
supraman88MKIII;1412565 said:
that maybe true about the twin ct26's but i am planning on going through suprasport.com and having them upgrade my ct26's. and im quite sure i will need a custom manifold b/c most of the ones ive seen place the turbos in an odd position. im basically going for the same setup as yannis-supras (for more and pics see celicasupra.com). but thanks for the advice and im open to any more constructive criticism:icon_razz

I know what your talkin about similar to this
7mTwin1.jpg

Either way you have a good project in front of you. If i was you, i don't know if i'd go for a 57trim because my guess is with two 57trim ct's, its gonna take take a while to build some boost. But that's just my guess, either way it should be interesting but now ya got me thinkin about tt 7m's again lol

One thing i was wondering about, was how are you gonna take care of boost?

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
carter;1413293 said:
I know what your talkin about similar to this
7mTwin1.jpg

Either way you have a good project in front of you. If i was you, i don't know if i'd go for a 57trim because my guess is with two 57trim ct's, its gonna take take a while to build some boost. But that's just my guess, either way it should be interesting but now ya got me thinkin about tt 7m's again lol

One thing i was wondering about, was how are you gonna take care of boost?

how so? controlling it? i have already accepted the fact that i will have to have a stand-alone ECU. and there will be alot of custom wiring as well........although if i got my hands on a 1JZ wiring harness i could enviro-splice (courtesy of the US Air Force:icon_razz) what i need in.........

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
well motor is out..........what a learning experience. for all you other newbs out there (like me) it helps on motor removal if you actually pull the gear shift out of the tranny before you pull it.......LOL:icon_lol:. but its out

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

got a great vid of the biggest redneck breaker bar ever......

not too sure where i can post it for all to see (we were trying to break the two big nuts for the bumper after 20 years of seizing)

more to come......till then'
HAPPY BOOSTING!

Last edited:

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
supraman88MKIII;1414156 said:
how so? controlling it? i have already accepted the fact that i will have to have a stand-alone ECU. and there will be alot of custom wiring as well........although if i got my hands on a 1JZ wiring harness i could enviro-splice (courtesy of the US Air Force:icon_razz) what i need in.........

i might 2x 54trim's and controlling the boost lol I need to proof read my things sometimes lol

I wanna see the breaker bar:biglaugh:

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
well plans have changed a bit. still have the same ultimate goal just will be delayed a bit longer. i miss driving her so ive decided to get the internals out of the way since im rebuilding anyway and put it all back together. then i can accumulate the externals as the funds come in and upgrade as i go. that way i can enjoy her again. (plus if i PCS i wont have to ship her). just about got the bottom end out and then itll be off to the machine shop.....

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
To drive her faster, you could do what I did and buy a second engine. I'll be pulling my blown engine out early spring and putting another one in so I can drive her while I rebuild.

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
Neodeuccio;1449151 said:
To drive her faster, you could do what I did and buy a second engine. I'll be pulling my blown engine out early spring and putting another one in so I can drive her while I rebuild.

I had the same idea but then ran short on money:cry:
Now i gotta rebuild over the winter lol

But hey if your still wanting to go twins, if you didn't wanna use ct's you could always go greddy td04s:love:

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
thats a good idea both of you guys. but im a little short on the greenbacks:cry:. so ill be droppin my block off at the machine shop next weekend.........and accumulating my internals while i wait(<-------loves shiny new parts:love:) til then............happy boosting

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
I kno what ya mean about being short on money, i'm parting my parts car to rebuild my motor lol

But its all good hopefully if things go right and i can get the 1 of the 2 turbos I've been looking for. For the most part anyway lol