my 1990 supra build!?

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
Sounds good! I'll have to check up on driftmotion when I get the chance. You said that you do it also? Could you go into a little more detail on how its done? And pricing also? You can inbox me or post it here. Thanks!

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
Well its about time to fill you guys in! Took the motor and tranny out last friday, I've been busy with school ever since then. So I couldnt get much done. I ran into a problem though. Now that the motor and tranny are out together, they won't separate. I took out all the bolts eng-tranny, dowel pins are visible also. But the transmission just spins, can't get it off the damn engine! Does the crank pulley have any affect on that? I was taking the motor out in about 20 degree whether so I was sorta rushing to get it out. Tried putting my impact gun to it while the motor was in, but its so weak!

p1800841_1.jpg

p1800841_2.jpg

p1800841_3.jpg

Any suggestions on how to get them apart? Would I have to remove the flywheel???

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
NVM guys, just saw a thread and forgot all about the clutch fork. Gonna separate now before i go into work, hopefully getting it on a stand as well!

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
Thanks Supraguy! Will do!

I separated the motor and tranny yesterday, but now I'm in need of a impact gun that has better torque than my 350 ft-lbs gun. I can't take the crank pulley bolt off just yet, once that's off I can get the motor on a stand and start the real work!

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
Got a couple more things done today! Popped of the flywheel and crankshaft pulley. Thanks to my dad's friend, his torque wrench does work unlike mine haha. Set the motor on the stand. Wanted to knock the pistons out tonight, but I didn't have any spare hose to make some booties. Will have get them out tomorrow. Hopefully send it to a machine shop this week, so I can order the right size pistons.. Still unsure with what pistons to go with. Thinking about the Probe set, it's relatively cheaper. Any suggestions???

p1801880_1.jpg

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
Very interesting, thanks for the info! Any other pistons will be a dent in my wallet, that's the only reason why Probes were on my mind. But I have to do whats best for the motor, no matter how long it takes. Got the motor down to the bare block just now. Working on taking every other little thing off the motor for the machinist to check it out. Got some pics of the damaged piston

p1802155_1.jpg

p1802155_2.jpg

p1802155_3.jpg

As you can see in the last pic, part of my connecting rod that holds the wrist pin has turned white. Is that treatable? Would I have to invest in connecting rods also???

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
While the rod is a more durable part than the cast piston, I would tell you that a single replacement new is only about $40, or you could buy a used one from the classified section here for even less.

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
Alright its been a little over a month and its about time for an update! I'm pretty sure I have my block all ready for a machine shop.. Tomorrow I'll be looking into this one in the town over to see if they're worthy of taking my engine lol. This is my first build and first time dealing with a machine shop. I know they need to take my block with the main caps installed and torqued to spec. They need to hone the block with a torque plate mounted also. Are there any other things that need to be done? Any questions I should ask?

Once i get everything priced out with the shop I'll be ordering my pistons and such. Thinking about going forged possibly twenty over. Basically been saving for this build. Don't think I'll be touching the head at all except for decking.. strictly block work. Pretty sure thats everything for now!

If you guys have any suggestions, throw 'em my way!

Thanks, Mike

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
Alright its been a little over a month and its about time for an update! I'm pretty sure I have my block all ready for a machine shop.. Tomorrow I'll be looking into this one in the town over to see if they're worthy of taking my engine lol. This is my first build and first time dealing with a machine shop. I know they need to take my block with the main caps installed and torqued to spec. They need to hone the block with a torque plate mounted also. Are there any other things that need to be done? Any questions I should ask?

Once i get everything priced out with the shop I'll be ordering my pistons and such. Thinking about going forged possibly twenty over. Basically been saving for this build. Don't think I'll be touching the head at all except for decking.. strictly block work. Pretty sure thats everything for now!

If you guys have any suggestions, throw 'em my way!

Thanks, Mike

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
Alright so I called Danbury competition engines in danbury ct. They told me they'd do anything I wanted, but they don't have a torque plate for my motor. They doubt I'll find one at all. Has anyone else ran into this? Any ideas on where to look for one?

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
Talked to another guy a couple towns away who seems more knowledgable about the 7m motors. He told me that a torque plate isn't necessary for the motor, and hes done many high hp 7m motors who haven't come back with any problems. He also said I should deffinitely get a wideband and tune to make sure its running right without risk of breaking anything. Also told me if it is going to be my daily I shOuld look into a meth/water injection kit. This guy seems like my go to guy for the job. I'll send out the motor within the next 5 days once my dd is driveable lol. Pretty syked about this next step ahead!

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
Just dropped off the motor yesterday morning!

I'm getting the following done:
-block magged to check for cracks
-cylinders honed possibly bored since its the same price
-crank balanced
-connecting rods checked
-flywheel resurface

The owner of the shop got stuck with a 7mgte head that I'll be looking into, maybe a trade with my untouched head. I have all the funds for the machine shop and then barely enough for the forged pistons. Hopefully my buyer for the 87 will come thru with the money soon... Until then i have to save some more cash. In my engine rebuilding class my teacher ran a pig to this motor that was on a stand before cranking her up. I really would like to have that for my motor before it goes in. i'm not sure of the technical term for it, but i know it gets the motor pumped with oil and at the correct oil pressure before starting. I have to research more about it, would definitely want that so the rebuilt motor would never start dry.

I will post pics up today with my new projects since the motor is gone

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
Haven't been on this for awhile so I'll update you guys.. My job closed down about a month ago. No one got any notice of it, but i recently got another job in no time. Haven't been spending money on the supra because my daily driver got messed up. Fixed it to the point where it can drive ok. My dads clutch on his car went 2 days ago so I've been busy with that. Been having bad luck with the families recently and it's pushing my build wayyy back...