my 1988 mk3 supra

russell_c

Jan 6, 2017
Centralia
today i bought my first supra a 1988 7mge with a 5 speed and on the drive home about 2 block from my house it overheated. gonna try and find the culprit tommorow
6fdd77996edd67d16548906c4ff0c795.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Overheating, cussing, and spending more time in the garage than on the road is normal. Welcome to Supra ownership, they're great cars when they run, mine has spent most of its life in the garage (usually more to do with budget) but on those 3-5 days a year I do get to drive it, its worth it.

-AM3

russell_c

Jan 6, 2017
Centralia
Another MkIII;2087690 said:
Overheating, cussing, and spending more time in the garage than on the road is normal. Welcome to Supra ownership, they're great cars when they run, mine has spent most of its life in the garage (usually more to do with budget) but on those 3-5 days a year I do get to drive it, its worth it.

-AM3
yeah gonna check the heater core tommorow and if it leaking replace it

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Well, while you have the dash out to replace the heater core take the time to refurb the air box. You're almost guaranteed to find that all the foam seals in, on, and around the various doors are disintegrating into powder. Your A/C and heat system will work a lot better if you pick up some proper thickness foam, cut it to size, and replace what's long gone.

Oh, and just a quick warning. The pins on the back of the dash that fit into holes underneath the windshield are likely to be pretty brittle and will break if you're not careful moving the dash. And they're aren't available from Toyota as replacement parts. I had to get them used from a guy with an already trashed dash.

russell_c

Jan 6, 2017
Centralia
mirage83;2088300 said:
Well, while you have the dash out to replace the heater core take the time to refurb the air box. You're almost guaranteed to find that all the foam seals in, on, and around the various doors are disintegrating into powder. Your A/C and heat system will work a lot better if you pick up some proper thickness foam, cut it to size, and replace what's long gone.

Oh, and just a quick warning. The pins on the back of the dash that fit into holes underneath the windshield are likely to be pretty brittle and will break if you're not careful moving the dash. And they're aren't available from Toyota as replacement parts. I had to get them used from a guy with an already trashed dash.
i didnt break the clips :) but i found my major coolant leak is above the bellhousing is there an line with coolant that go behind there

russell_c

Jan 6, 2017
Centralia
so i got the heatercore replace and it doesnt leak but that wasnt my main problem