motor may be toast some advice.

Tuner.87

Aug 27, 2011
East Lansing, Mi
Ive had a engine leak for sometime now and have been trying to find the leak. But yesterday the engine felt as if it was losing power and then it just quit so i restarted it oil pressure was fine everything was except i was hearing a loud knock. then it jerk hard so i pressed in the clutch and then it died. tried to start it again and it sounded like a grinding noise. Couldnt be the starter could it. So i got it towed home and it started but was again knocking loudly and it stopped hard again but i was just idleing and the car stalled. Now all it does is grind again. If i need a new and get a 7mge will it be ok to slap the turbo on it or is that bad idea to my knowledge their specs are the same. also to my knowledge the 89+ motor only revs to 6 and my ecu is for a 87 will it still run it and the 61/2 redline hurt it. and also isnt the 89 motor a differant engine mount. any answers would be great i need this car running so i need to find something. fast.

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
'Sounds like you need a new engine. I am not sure about the rpm thing. Do you have a 7mge now? If so,then id go ahead and swap your turbo to it. If not then I would do some research first,there are a few differences between the 2 engines. There is a write-up posted on this site.yes 89 and up have different mounts than the pre 89' .

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
mge engines dont have piston squirters, they have higher compression, different intake and exhaust cams.....id advise sticking with a gte engine.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just the intake cam is different.

You could put a turbo on it but I don't see it lasting long unless you get lucky or don't boost much.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
hvyman;1793379 said:

You could put a turbo on it but I don't see it lasting long unless you get lucky or don't boost much.

Not just the intake cam is different. A lot of things would have to be changed. From the looks of the first post I gather he has a NA so to make it turbo you'd need a lot of stuff.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
hvyman;1793379 said:

I must be the luckiest 7M owner in the WORLD then. :D

Last edited: