Most likely a BHG help!

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Got the gurgling behind the dash... i've been worried about it since I bought the car a few months ago, but with the coolant loss, and now this, coupled with rough Idle, and long starts when cold, i can only think of one thing. I'm having the coolant and compression tested tomorrow, and i need a bit of assistance, what's acceptable spec for compression? Also what other BHG symptoms should i be looking for? Besides ARP studs, can anyone recommend a good gasket kit, and head gasket for a stock motor? if i come back with compression loss or gases in the coolant i'm gonna pull the head and have it magnafluxed and checked for straightness

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Compression check wont necessarily tell you anything.. However a leak down test will.. Here is the info you want about the compression numbers..

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=EM&P=20

Either way you are going to need to get the head machined.. Get a stock HG from Driftmotion.com (http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7mgtestockheadgasket.php) And ARP Studs, Clean block surface and make sure to whip down the alcohol for a clean mating surface (same with head) Make sure you torque the head bolts then let it sit over night and then re torque.. Usually with composite head gaskets they will compress over the first torque procedure and then the bolts/nuts will loosen up.. Doing a re-torque in the pattern per TSRM will give you a good seal and properly torqued studs/bolts..

Buy a Ebay Head gasket set for 49.99 Shipped and throw the head gasket away that comes with the kit (DO NOT USE IT).. Use all the other gaskets to put it back together.. Should be set..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grap...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2978wt_924

Enjoy, hope this helps!

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Any alternatives to the ARP studs? i really can't afford 150 bucks on top of the gaskets and machine work i'm gonna need if it's blown

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
ARP Head studs can be found for 100-120.00 you can buy used ones all the time on here for 50-75.00 all you need to do is buy some moly lube to install them.. As many people say.. Do it right once, or do it again, and again, and again until you do it right.. You have to pay to play sadly

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
I know that, my wallet just didn't want to hear it. If you know anyone that has a set and wants to help a guy out i'll see if i can scrap together a decent amount for them, funds are limited atm due to the holidays, but i'd like to know what someone may want for a set at the very least.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Technically you can reuse the stock head bolts but its not recommended, However people have done it in the passed.. But then again it comes back to the topic of do it right once or do it twice..

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Gonna get ARP's if i can find a set for a good price, what are some pro/cons for stock HG vs metal, the price isn't a huge difference.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Here we go again.. Please use the SEARCH function at the top of supramania..

But for this one time.. The Block has to be removed completely disassembled and decked, hot tanked and then put back together.. An OEM gasket is more forgiving to slight changes in the deck of the block so the block does not have to be decked/machined/shaved

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
got it, ty, I've been searching for hours prior to starting this thread, and most others get jacked and side tracked. I've never used a Metal hg before and all the info i found on them wasn't very clear at all, i'll most likely have my diagnosis tomorrow after i have the tests done, and i'll order my parts then.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Well i have identified some coolant loss, are there any other reasons besides the head gasket why i'd see coolant bubbling out between the head and the manifold by the number 6 cylinder?

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
i'm certain, i watched it bubbling very slowly from the center of the number six exhaust tubing where the head meets the flangge, i'm hoping that i can attribute it to the gasket and not a cracked head( the gas test came back positive so i pulled it apart) , since i can't have it fluxed( dang almuminum lol) i'm going to have it dye tested, i can't visually see anything but the machine shop i go to will be able to tell for sure.

Btw i love the Civic sig lol, also i'd like to thank you for your help and adivce, i know it's been gone over countless times on many differnet forums, but this is my first import and my funds are limited in getting it back into good shape, so i have to do it right and make sure i'm taking the right course in everything i do. I don't wanna end up with a pretty lawn ornament

Last edited: