More Coolant issues (not a bhg thread)

D TR41N

Apr 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
So last summer i was losing a lot of coolant, went through a "i have a BHG" stage but it turned out to be the radiator cap. All was fine until last month when my coolant light came on once again. I added a little coolant, drove to my destination and popped the hood. The coolant overflow bottle was filled to the top and there was a gurgle coming from the radiator cap. I figured "damn, it's the radiator cap again" because it's screwing up the pressure with that leak. SO i went to toyota and just got an actual Toyota radiator cap this time. Installed it, drove it for a while assuming it was fixed, and then the coolant light came on again. Ok, popped the hood and the same gurgling/air leak sound was coming from the radiator cap.

What do I need to to do fix it? I figure just do something to seal up the spot where the radiator cap meets with the radiator so there's no longer that leak? (by leak i mean air leak, i can only hear gurgling but i can't see any visible signs of coolant being lost through the cap)

D TR41N

Apr 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
figgie;1087579 said:
gurgling means that the coolant temprature inside of the engine is pretty high.

I would venture a guess to pull the radiator and have it pressure tested.

Last summer when I thought I had a BHG I had the system pressure tested and everything was fine. Then again at the beginning of the driving season (april) I had a radiator flush done by the stealership

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
if the radiator is old or origanal ... replace it.....
having a radiator flushed can only be done right and only one way.. back flushed and with water and air...

And i would have a block co2 test done...

but it is sounding like a bhg....

I wish they would design a radiator cap that detected co2 in system...:}

D TR41N

Apr 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
HommerSimpson;1087610 said:
if the radiator is old or origanal ... replace it.....
having a radiator flushed can only be done right and only one way.. back flushed and with water and air...

And i would have a block co2 test done...

but it is sounding like a bhg....

I wish they would design a radiator cap that detected co2 in system...:}

I had it flushed by the dealership so I assume they did it right? I guess I'll have it tested next oil change i rarely drive my car since my motorcycle gets 50mpg

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
they prob do what 99.99% of all shops do when they say they flushed system... drain coolant...run strait water threw till all the aintifreeze gone.. drain water... refill with coolant...& water

The proper way is to have a RADIATOR flush gun... and its a big ass thing with a big ass hose 3x bigger then a garden hose... and around 80 psi of air on demand with a triger on gun.......

You remove the upper radiator hose...from radiator..put another hose on radiator pointing DOWN...

remove thermostate...and re install thermostate housing... attach flush gun to upper hose turn on the water then squease the triger.... slowwwwwwwwwwwww ly... this BACK flushes the system... compleatly...If the radiator is pluged.. it usally blows it apart someplace...or atleast leaks....

but its the only way to do right ....Robbins Radiator... est like 1927 in daytona beach right across street from Smokey Yunic's shop.. I even showed old smokey how we did it...:}~~
I worked there a for a few years.. learned alot...

D TR41N

Apr 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
HommerSimpson;1087633 said:
they prob do what 99.99% of all shops do when they say they flushed system... drain coolant...run strait water threw till all the aintifreeze gone.. drain water... refill with coolant...& water

The proper way is to have a RADIATOR flush gun... and its a big ass thing with a big ass hose 3x bigger then a garden hose... and around 80 psi of air on demand with a triger on gun.......

You remove the upper radiator hose...from radiator..put another hose on radiator pointing DOWN...

remove thermostate...and re install thermostate housing... attach flush gun to upper hose turn on the water then squease the triger.... slowwwwwwwwwwwww ly... this BACK flushes the system... compleatly...If the radiator is pluged.. it usally blows it apart someplace...or atleast leaks....

but its the only way to do right ....Robbins Radiator... est like 1927 in daytona beach right across street from Smokey Yunic's shop.. I even showed old smokey how we did it...:}~~
I worked there a for a few years.. learned alot...

Sounds cool. I guess first things first then, find a place that flushes the rad. like that.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
forgot to say... the only way to clean a radiator 100% is to rod it... that is unsodering the upper or lower tank... and runing a flat metal rod down each tube... and its a suck ass job.. ive done prob 500 + radiators this way...lota work...

Plastic/aluminum radiators you can take tank off and re crimp...they are easy...

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
sounds like combustion gases leaking past the headgasket and pressureizing the cooling system...

What Hommer told ya was great advice but personally I'm too lazy and would buy another rad! LOL

D TR41N

Apr 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Radiators are generally pretty straightforward to install right? I have done them on motorcycles and for those it's just disconnecting hoses and bolting the rad. on

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I know you said this is not another BHG thread, but I don't think you've proven that yet.

Do a NAPA block (sniffer) test. It costs $50 for the kit, takes 30 seconds, and is so simple to perform that a monkey could do it.
My money is on a BHG.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
suprabad;1087765 said:
I know you said this is not another BHG thread, but I don't think you've proven that yet.

Do a NAPA block (sniffer) test. It costs $50 for the kit, takes 30 seconds, and is so simple to perform that a monkey could do it.
My money is on a BHG.

^^^^what chief said!