moonburn's Rattmobile Resto Thread

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
Fair warning: I will ramble, so if you don't want to hear about how I got it then skip down to the pictures.

I picked up this red(ish) '90 7M-GTE from a kid off Craigslist. I was looking around for anything that would roll and was less than $2k, when I found a Supra with a recently rebuilt engine for only $1500! Oh boy!

Fast forward two days to me dragging my wife and son through rural NC to the shop where this beast was parked. He said he had $2k in it, but most of that was probably in wheels. After a few minutes and a brief test spin, I told him "I'll talk it over with the wife and call you back." We left, crestfallen that this deal was not actually a deal. He called me within half an hour to see if I wanted it. I told him how unimpressed I was and offered $800. He countered $900, which we felt was fair enough and accepted. In retrospect I probably could have gotten him down a few more if I wanted to, but I see no reason to haggle if we both feel it's a fair price.

Here she is:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There are a lot of issues with this car, as you can probably see (painted hoses FTW). The kids I bought it from were rather destructive in their "mods." They opted, for example, to cut through the trunk rather than drop the fuel tank. They also had very, very rudimentary understanding of electricity, which resulted in several attempts at DIY wiring which scare me very much. The major show stoppers at this point are:

1. Massive oil pan gasket leak.
  2. Front brakes are blocked off due to some "caliper problems."
  3. There is an elbow, and a muffler. Nothing in between.

I have already tightened or replaced a gripload of missing nuts, removed the torn center console/armrest, and put a cover over the torn steering wheel until I can find another for a decent price. It's not really a priority though. Tried to check out the "caliper problems" today, but apparently I don't own anything that can get these damn lug nuts off. I also installed hood lifts (!) so I don't have to fear a sudden, hood related death.

More to follow later this week!

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
Pretty much a wasted day under the car today. The torx oilpan bolts were all on so tight we couldn't get a single one to move, much less 24 of them. It seems that whoever replaced the block just impacted them on, which could be the cause of the leak. On the plus side there was a lot more oil in there than I thought, so the leak isn't as bad as I thought it was.

The brake calipers took about an hour to get off between the rust and the paint. Previous owner (PO) had painted the calipers in place, which made them almost possible to remove. After much brakecleen, grease, and hammering, we got them off. Upon inspection the pistons were clogged and frozen on both sides. The rotors are gonna have to go too. The exhaust won't be in until Monday, so hopefully I'll be able to get everything I need by then so I can do it all in one shot. Car's staying on jacks until it's done!

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
Your story about driving to go get your car sounds hauntingly familiar... probably because I did the same thing for mine but I drove to Michigan. Will be watching this build! BTW, you have the same wheels as my friend ( also a Supra owner/driver).

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
mattsplat72;1655108 said:
Front brakes that do not work ? Rear hatch cut out to drop the gas tank? I would have stayed soild at 500. Interested to see the save on this one. good luck

Thanks. The engine was recently rebuilt and has less than 40k miles on it. I also picked up a "spare" turbo with it. The biggest issue is undoing the half-assery that is present throughout the car. It's a lot of little stuff, mostly. Missing or loose bolts, DIY wiring, etc.

Calipers and rotors will be here on the 5th, 3in Turbo-back will be here on the 3rd, then we'll be rocking. I wish it was the other way around so I could drive to the lift as soon as I get my pipes in. While I wait I have been searching for lengths of electrical wire the PO seemed to have in abundance and used as hose clamps, radiator supports, etc. Also trying to figure out where to wire in this F-150 fan... PO had a toggle switch ghetto wired in near the battery box. I would rather not have to open my hood every time I want to use my car.

Luckily I have a year before the state inspection, so I can take my sweet time. Gotta love a project!

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
Ok, so the exhaust got here yesterday, and it's awesome... However, I got held up at work yesterday so I started late and and only managed to get the DP on... Old muffler would not come off the hanger! Gonna try again tonight and tomorrow. My brakes don't get here until then anyhow, so it's not like I'm going anywhere.

Here's the system.
attachment.php

Stock elbow. Notice the complete lack of anything else after it.
attachment.php

Got the bugger out.
attachment.php

Trying to reach that damn 7 o'clock nut after my wife helped me get the DP on the bolts.
attachment.php

Tada!
attachment.php

I meant to get a picture of the stocker next to the new DP, but I guess i forgot.. :-/

I think I'll end up just taking the rest of the stock exhaust off tonight and jack up the rear end once I have the front end back on the ground after I put the new brakes on.

Still no progress on the OP gasket until I can get to a lift. Any suggestions for what should come next?

87supradude

living a country song
Jan 19, 2007
Salem, OR
you stationed at bragg? hair cut was a clue but the headlamp was a dead givaway. not to mention the bike, snowboard and a high chair, we realy get to live the good life...
welcome to the supra world! Fair warning though, Ive had my car for 4 years and have been able to drive it for about 1 1/2 of that. It has never broken down lol. I swear this car demands more all the time but once the goodies are in and you go for that new part test drive there arent many cars out there like it! Then you have an idea and its time to do surgery again! always gets better though...

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
Man... I have gotten more shit for this haircut. ... My buddy asked me if I just went in and asked for an 82nd! Yes, I'm stationed at Bragg. Pedal bike and snowboard come from living in Denver!

Not driving it wouldn't bother me if I could ride my bike in to work, but I'm still recovering from surgery on my clutch foot, so no dice.

UPDATE: So the rotors came today, but the calipers didn't, which does me no good. So I decided to finish my exhaust. I got it together in a relatively short order, went to start her up and hear the pleasant roar and.... kachunk. About half a turn. Battery is charging now.:3d_frown:

Last edited:

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
So exhaust is on and sounding good, brakes are on, but still blocked off somewhere. I tried to bleed them, but I couldn't get fluid at the calipers or air bubbles in my jar o' brake fluid. I checked all the lines, no cracks or leaks. I called the PO and basically got the impression that he didn't know either, because he told me to check all over and I should find a line unplugged with a bolt in its place. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'll be driving it to work this weekend on just the rears and hopefully another set of eyes will catch what I've missed. Pics to come later. Still need to work on the OP gasket leak too.

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
Chambers;1658107 said:
Check this out, it may help: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=BR&P=1

Looks like a neat find, have fun and good luck!

Yeah, I've been working through it with the TSRM... Especially for wiring stuff. Thanks anyhow!

Drove it in to work today and had a blast! Thinking I may end up having to replace the brake lines. Anyone know of a reliable, reasonably priced braided stainless kit?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
check out DriftMotion in the vendor forum. Their site has it listed, or give em a call and tell em what you need. Aaron will take care of you he's definitely a good guy

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
Thanks for the warning, guys.

Here's a quick update. I haven't had a lot of time recently due to work, family, etc. but I did finally manage to get the Ratt to the lifts and take a whack at the OP gasket replacement. Yeah, no. It was a little bit out of my league, so we checked the brakes out too, and still no sign of anything. Ended up just changing the oil (since the first step of changing the gasket required draining the OP) and calling it a day.

I called my local dealer and they told me they could have the gasket replacement done by the end of the day for $530. I figured I might as well pay because I'm tired of being afraid of trashing my engine from running low. I asked them to look at my brakes and PS issues while they had it.

The service department just called me a bit ago and told me that they think the ABS module is shot (approx $2k from Toyota) and the PS Rack is leaking like hell (can anyone explain this to me?). I'm gonna pick up written estimates in about an hour, but the overall tone from Toyota service was to probably cut my losses and bail, but I'm already it for $1800 (including purchase price, parts, and registration) and don't want to lose that and be without a second vehicle again.

Input? Advice? Places I can find the above on the cheap? I was thinking that if the ABS is hosed, than I can try and just run sans ABS. Is this flawed logic and/or will it require I replace the master cyl?

Thanks,
George

Last edited:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
First place I would look is the for sale section here. There are plenty of members here parting out their cars, and see if you can score a used ABS module. I'm sure you can pick one up a hell of alot cheaper than $2000. If you must have new parts from toyota then here are two place that can help you:

1. Champion/Jay Marks Toyota. The guys name is Michael Horne. Make sure you let him know you're a Supraforums.com member and need some quotes. You can ask him for quotes on parts on the forum http://www.supraforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?99-Champion-Jay-Marks-Toyota . Or here's his contact info below.

713-943-7010 ext. 2263
1-800-327-2087 toll free
713-943-8930 fax
hornem@autonation.com

2. Elmhurst Toyota Scion. Curt Aigner is his name. http://www.supraforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?100-Elmhurst-Toyota-Scion

630.279.2265 parts direct
630.835.0122 parts fax
eparts@elmhursttoyota.com

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Oilpan bolts are torx in the middle, 12mm(??) on the outside. Have you tried taking them off with a 6point? You can try that on a breaker bar( or use cheater bar) to crack them loose. Just be prepared for some snapped bolts in the process. Have your bBolt/screw extractor set handy.

87supradude

living a country song
Jan 19, 2007
Salem, OR
yep, oilpan bolts are a pain from the get go. sounds crazy but they make liquid duct tape, clean well and give it a shot. as long as the oil stays in the pan who cares how. I did this to pass inspection in germany.
Does not work however in the power steering system. chances are the PO put power steering fluid in and now the seals are shot. Try to get it out and flush with automatic transmission fluid. This works about 50% of the time (causes seals to swell back up and its whats supposed to go in there anyways, not powersteering fluid. Also works for main seal temporary fix but just a little.).
If that doesnt work, get the Driftmotion (seriousely they rock!) powersteering hose and good luck swapping it (bolts are locked with copper locks, youll see.). The hose has all the parts you need to replace as well.
next time you go to the lift make those civilians earn their check. they are not just there to sign out tools, it is a way for you to learn to fix your car and have an opportunity to do so. They help with the learning part, thats why they have to have job experience to work there, any kid can hand you a wrench and write down how long you used the bay.
as for brakes, I havent had issues but I believe you can delete the ABS and save yourself the bucks. Alot of supras never had it so it is not vital.

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
Thanks for the tips! I'll try to flush out the PS system and put in the A/T fluid when I get it back (see below). I found a thread or two re: ABS delete, and am seriously considering it. Not sure though since this will be my daily driver.

The OP gasket has already been replaced, so I will definitely look to that in the future. D-bags didn't put everything back together right because they were in a hurry to get out of there, so my brand new rotors were scraping with every rotation. I called the dealer back and made a U turn less that 1 mile down the road, but the entire service department had ghosted. I could have fixed it myself, but I was not about to drive 30+ miles like that and mess up my rotors, so I had to leave the keys in the drop box for the weekend (which unfortunately means I can't work on anything over the long weekend). They gave me a car to drive in the interim, but that really doesn't do me any good. Never going back to Pinehurst Toyota.

87supradude

living a country song
Jan 19, 2007
Salem, OR
Thats crap. I would trash the loaner, but thats just me. It definately sucks getting anything done near an instalation, they take thier business for granted and walk all over people.
As for the ABS its just a matter of your driving. I preffer a good old lock up over the stutter instant fade of the ABS these cars have. I always panic when I feel the ABS kick in and its just damn unatural to account for in a driving manuever. And you can get line locks =)