Modifying a California spec Supra

AaronB

Aug 4, 2012
Georgia
Ok guys, hoping you guys can help me out on this. So I have an 89 Turbo that was originally from Cali. It's 100% stock, and unless something happened in the past 25 years I assume it still has the Cali parts for "emissions". I want to put in a new downpipe and catback, and I'm wondering if the California specs will throw off the ECU and throw a check engine light. There's not a lot of info so here's what I know:

The main difference is the Cali cars have a pre cat like regular turbos, but additionally have a 2nd o2 sensor, an additional probe to the EGR system, and a different ECU(i found they have a separate part number). So I assume the 2nd o2 sensor is somewhere on the downpipe, near the pre cat. Now since a new downpipe will eliminate the pre cat (and presumably the 2nd o2 sensor) then I would assume the car would throw a code 27 and the code for the missing pre cat (forgot the number).

Now if that's the case can I just replace the ECU with a non cali 89 Turbo one? That would offset the missing pre cat and 2nd o2 sensor. It would still leave the additional EGR probe, which I assume can be removed while leaving the EGR in place (to keep EGT's down).

The point of this is the figure out how to modify while getting around/removing the extra restrictions surrounding Cali cars. I also hope this can be an end all reference as I found very little info of modding a car with these restrictions. Any info would be greatly appreciated! :D

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The secondary Ox sensor goes in a bung on the downpipe (non-turbo only). Everything else is the same as on federal cars. Your best bet is to swap in a non Calif ECU. Uses the same ECU connectors and is plug and play.

Last edited:

AaronB

Aug 4, 2012
Georgia
Thank you for the confirmations 3p14...so to confirm, by installing an aftermarket downpipe and catback, swapping to a non cali ECU, and removing the EGR probe, i would essentionally have a regular Supra with an aftermarket downpipe and catback. Glad to know the additions aren't hidden deep within the car's electrical system.