mmmm tools - prepping for big boy build

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted. Finally received my degree about a year ago and have been training out in the field for the past year. Now I'm coming home and am planning a huge re-rebuild of my 89. I already rebuilt the engine a few years ago with forged internals, 62-1 turbo, MAFT Pro, etc etc etc. Now that I've got a real job and college is paid off, I am getting ready to do what I've always wanted to with the supra.

The scope of work I'm planning now is going to include pulling everything apart, down to every last nut and bolt of the chassis. Sand blast the chassis down to bare metal & fix / re-coat it. Send the body off to get a full repaint inside and out (still dunno if I'm going to keep white). Replace all of the bushings, bearings, gaskets, nuts and bolts. 5 point roll bar w/ lightweight seats & new interior. Re-blueprint the engine, full port and polish the head, add in a FFIM, light weight flywheel & drive shaft & new clutch. Switch over from MAFT-pro to AEM standalone.

Getting to the point, what tools (larger shop items) would I need that would make my life easier? I have a two car garage back home that I've converted to a single car garage with a huge work bench I built a couple years ago. I have an old air compressor, all the hand tools I would need for engine pull, engine lift, various power tools (hand held). I used to have a HF mig welder that busted on me (no surprise there). I am already planning on buying an acetylene torch, mig welder, bench-top drill press, grinding wheel, various/more air tools, and I'm planning on making a hot tank for parts washing. I am thinking about some sort of press for the new bushings.

Any ideas on some valuable or "must have" shop additions? I want to go with quality tools, price does not matter too much (just can't justify going out and buying a full blown CNC machine for what I'm trying to accomplish).

Sorry for the long post, here are some pics of my work bench from a few years ago to make up for it:

n9622131_35750623_1176.jpg
n9622131_35750627_2322.jpg
n9622131_35750631_3489.jpg
n9622131_35750630_3191.jpg
n9622131_35757158_2611.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Quality torque wrenches that never get used to loosen bolts or leave sitting for long time not zerod out.

If your going to redo the whoke car i would get some bigger sockets like 21+.

If you use air a lot get the ir 3/8 titanium impact gun, you will thank me later. For the bigger things get a ir titanium 1/2 gun, all you'll ever need but the 3/8 is easier and quicker for smaller things.

thats about it off the top of my head right now.

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Yeah, I have a quality torque wrench that I used pretty much for only the head studs and other major bolt installments.

Noted on the bigger sockets and impact gun. Exactly the feedback I'm looking for, thanks.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Oh swivels, tho can be very expensive esp if you get both chrome and impact, are well worth it.

Sometimes i find a locking extensions are useful. My mac ones work better than snap on and craftsman. Havnt used matco tho.

ratchet wreches, boxed long handle flat wrenches. I know the snap on 17/19 combo flat(no angle like reg wrenches)wrench is 55 and the 14/12 is about 45-50. Expensive as hell but sometimes its totally worth it and not just for the supra.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Off the top of my head in my tool box

Stubby wrenches (makes some jobs soooo much easier)
Ratcheting wrenches (Again, makes some jobs and tight to reach bolts so much easier)
Regular sockets 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive
Impact sockets 3/8 and 1/2
Regular open end/box end wrenches
Line wrenches
3/8 and 1/2 torque wrench (Also a 1/4 for inch lbs)
3/8 and 1/2 inch breaker bars (I also have a 3 ft long 1/2 inch breaker bar for those bolts that need added leverage)

So much more to list but those are the main basics that will get you a long way!

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Yeah Devin, I'm thinking of taking all my cheapo mix-matched open-end/box-end wrenches and cutting them all in half and then just buying a nice set of either snap-on, craftsman, or the like. Well maybe not all of them, just the ones that were already breaking :p.

Does anyone have any views on bench-top drill presses? I've read a couple reviews that said Deltas are nice. Just looking for something that would work well for small projects, like random engine/car parts.

Also, does anyone know what kind of press I would need for the bushings? I haven't researched those yet, been busy packing to go home :/.