MKIII vs MKIII... got my @$$ handed to me in a big way...

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
So I'm sitting at a traffic light about to pull onto HWY285 and I see a slightly battered, white MKIII with a CF hood... no, wait, it's just a black hood.... lol! Anyway, so this guy moves over and pulls in behind the truck that's behind me. I'm thinking great! a little fun on the highway, this shouldn't be too bad. Even if he is turbo'd I know my car is in excellent shape and will hang just fine.

Well, we get on the highway and the truck passes. I get over a lane and the other MKIII pulls up. An exchange of nods, rush of sound.... and... he's f@#$ing gone! He didn't walk on me... the dude ran. The biggest grin I've had in a long time took over at that point. We had quite a bit of fun getting lined up and then... well, just him really... hauling ass for a few seconds. I just got a massive rise out of the sound of it every time that boost hit or he passed. I'm still giddy actually.

We pulled off at a small, less used off ramp, and turned back around to head home. The off ramp's got a nice down hill grade and I had the lead... so I pounded on it. Along with having been given a healthy head start I figured well, it'll take him a while to catch up at least... I was already at 65 or 70 by the end of the ramp. Nope... WOOSH!!! The bastard just shot right past me doing about 110. It was awesome! Never thought I'd be so happy to get my ass handed to me!

Looks are definitely deceiving sometimes... the black hood wasn't sitting all the way down, one headlight was crooked, bumper looked like Frankenstein's monster's forehead with all the rivets and stitches...

Lots of fun and had a chance to hang out with another MKIII owners who's a really nice guy.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
suprahero said:
Congrats on a thorough ass whipppin.............

It's always more enjoyable to get beat by your own car. :naughty:

As the driver of said "fast car" I can vouch for the 110. It may have been closer to 115. ;)

The car pulls like mad and gives me a renewed respect for a healthy, modified turbo mk3 (regardless of the exterior aesthetics :)).

It was a blast seeing my car stand still while I tear past in a fellow enthusiast's well tuned ride. First and second gear aren't worth much. By the time the pedal hits the floor, it's almost too late to shift.

Christoph, I think we need to trade car's for longer next time. I'll treat her REAL nice. I promise. :evil2:

Tonight just reassured my plan to be turbo and modified by the spring/summer. Boost is SOOOOOO good. I still have a grin on my face.

-Andy

xms

Jan 25, 2006
tx
That was great I never thought it would be so funny to get ur ass handed to you, great story.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
xms;1456206 said:
That was great I never thought it would be so funny to get ur ass handed to you, great story.

Thanks, it was fun!
rofl.gif
You know how it goes though... you mod one thing at a time and due to the gradual nature you lose sight of just how big the overall change has been... Sparky's N/A is in fantastic shape and is almost as quick as my N/A was running S/D and tuned. So it's the best comparison that I have as to how my car WAS versus how it now IS. Driving the slower of the two was something I really wanted to do... I just had to have that outsider perspective of how my car sounds (both intake and exhaust) and to know that the other car wasn't holding back. ;)

I've worked on a couple nicely built MKIIIs before so I know that my car still isn't the greatest thing around... but compared to how it was... Weeeeeeee! :icon_bigg

kneedragger85;1456205 said:
What were the stats on the "fast" one?

7M-GE, a matched set of GTE injectors, full flow oil cooler w/ thermostat, 2.25" IC piping on the stock IC (yeah, IC needs to be upgraded), stock CT-26 running 10psi, MAFT Pro running S/D, one piece steel DS, 4.30:1 LSD, Apex'i filter under the passenger headlight, 3" HKS DP running to a ... 2.5" cat back with a stock cat and an free flowing Borla muffler (I know, I know, 2.5" catback? I got a great deal on the DP, the rest of the exhaust will come eventually).

It's nothing massive, but I'm very happy with it right now.

I have to add that Andy's N/A is a favorite of mine. It's in great shape inside and out; It's very clean and amazingly well running for a car with 300,000 miles on it. He's also the person who helped me do a large portion of the mechanical modifications to my car. Thanks Andy!

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Kneedragger, did I see you on Sheridan heading South towards 285 a few days ago? I stopped at a light and my wife pointed out a white 89+.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
CRE;1456258 said:
Kneedragger, did I see you on Sheridan heading South towards 285 a few days ago? I stopped at a light and my wife pointed out a white 89+.

Nope, my baby has been off the streets for all of november so far. I'll be getting the engin e back the first week of december from the machine shop. I miss boost.

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
kneedragger85;1456267 said:
Nope, my baby has been off the streets for all of november so far. I'll be getting the engin e back the first week of december from the machine shop. I miss boost.

i understand u bro i have my car 2 months without working

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Heh, and I just keep wishing I could afford to say that my car was down due to being in the middle of a massive build... I guess it sounds fun until you get sick of driving the wife's Honda every day for a month.

I'd like to know who has that other white MKIII, I think I've seen that same one in my neighborhood a few times... if so they live real close or something.

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
remkye08;1456269 said:
i understand u bro i have my car 2 months without working

Man i swear mine has been sitting for 10yrs!! and just now im finally gonna get it running right. Christoph we should meet up once i get everything settled on the car. It should be going soon within couple months if it doesnt snow. I dont like working in the cold.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
nerfkhat;1456424 said:
Man i swear mine has been sitting for 10yrs!! and just now im finally gonna get it running right. Christoph we should meet up once i get everything settled on the car. It should be going soon within couple months if it doesnt snow. I dont like working in the cold.

Hey! Wow, it's been a while. Still not running eh? That sucks. What all is left?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Good story CRE. 10 PSI, been meaning to catch up to ya, just been a little busy. Still out "trying to kick some ass" hey? You must be having a little fun since the transformation?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Hey, only a little bit of fun actually... I'm trying to take it easy and feel out the GE electronics. I may swap in GTE electronics but if so that won't be until next summer. So far everything's great though. I had a lot of trouble with leaking fittings in the oil cooling system, but those are all taken care of now.

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
CRE;1456629 said:
Hey! Wow, it's been a while. Still not running eh? That sucks. What all is left?

No not yet. Just been taking my time to build it and making payments to machine shop too. Also left for vacation overseas for about a month also. Being unemployed didnt help either :aigo:

But i hope to have whole motor together within the next month. Just picked up the head yesterday. So I have everything I need motor wise. Got lots and lots of stuff i still need to work out though. No rush though

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
CRE;1456386 said:
Heh, and I just keep wishing I could afford to say that my car was down due to being in the middle of a massive build... I guess it sounds fun until you get sick of driving the wife's Honda every day for a month.

I'd like to know who has that other white MKIII, I think I've seen that same one in my neighborhood a few times... if so they live real close or something.
I'm sick of driving a 4 Liter Jeep that goes nowhere when I floor it and gets half the mpg's of the supra. I can't "merge" with traffic like I used to :naughty:.

I saw a pre 89 white mkiii in Lakewood off Alameda/Union back in October but no others supras since moving here in July.

nerfkhat;1456424 said:
I've been extremely hesitant (lazy) to even remount my 11x10 oil cooler since the shell is outside my apartment's shared heated garage. Some sticklers for "rules" threatened to have my car towed while it was a few feet out of my designated parking spot even though it didn't block or hinder anyone from accessing their spots. Looks like i'll have to be warm with her in secret during the late hours.

I decided to build a 1J while my 7M is down...

Attachments

• DSCN0568.jpg
    DSCN0568.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0571.jpg
    DSCN0571.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 27

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
kneedragger85;1460186 said:
I saw a pre 89 white mkiii in Lakewood off Alameda/Union back in October but no others supras since moving here in July.

Well, if it was on the 31st, had a black hood and a bumper that looked like a sewn up college cadaver.... might have been me. ;)

sparkplug619;1460770 said:
lol focusing on maintenance and performance before looks!!

Me or the remote control car? :biglaugh: I'm thinking about swapping everything into a rusted Cressida with steelies, a door missing (and covered with packing tape and pieces of cardboard from Keystone and PBR 12 packs).... then I can really forget about cosmetics and focus on under the hood badassedness. Whatcha think?