mkIII 2jzgte Swap

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hello all,

I got my hands on a 87 MkIII about half a year ago and with some good friends at a shop called "Eastern Rod & Customs in Raleigh, started on a 2jz swap. I'd be lying if I said it was done, or even remotely close to so, but it does start and move XD. It has a lot of small issues as most project cars do, but being my daily driver at the moment, I make it work... somehow.

Anyway here's some of the before:

p1474781_1.jpg

p1474781_2.jpg

p1474781_3.jpg

p1474781_4.jpg

p1474781_5.jpg

And After:

p1474781_6.jpg

p1474781_7.jpg

p1474781_8.jpg

I was worried about how much would be needed to be done for the swap, but with a little luck and some fabrications it boiled down to 3 things.

1) we moved the oil pan, used one from a lexus
2) Wiring Harness to Dr. Tweak
3) Custom engine mounts to avoid changing crossmember

What we've done so far,
Just put in a stage 4 clutch up to 400 Hp (The other died)
Went to a 3 inch exhaust
changed power steering rack cause it was leaking.
(Which it still is leaking somewhere)

Thats all I've actually done for now, I'm kinda broke as it stands.
Instead of making it go faster, I'm just trying to fix whats broken.
(The list is long and increasing daily)

1) When I first start it blue smoke comes out just for a mere second. we think its from the turbo's.

2) Not all of my gauges work, and the ones that do, don't work that well.

3) Cruise control is taken for granted until you don't have it anymore XD
(one of the smaller problems)

4) One of the vsv valves was broken and the hose kept coming off, when it boosted past 10 psi. It would feel like what would happen if the rev limiter kicked in. I got a new valve from a guy on craigslist, so the hose doesn't come off anymore, but it still does that sometimes when I really have at it,
but its not even close to redlining. The engine light comes on now for a brief moment as well when it happens.

Some think its because its running more boost than it can handle (not engine wise but fuel wise) and that's why. I honestly don't have a clue about that problem, but its the one that worries me the most.

Any tips or advice would be awesome,
Thanks for looking.
(my expensive child, loves all the attention she can get XD)

P.S. I'll get more pictures when I can, right now there's a small weather problem in my area XD so it's parked underground at where I work, so I don't have to worry about killing myself on the snowy roads.

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
A small power steering problem has arisen, and. it. blows...:icon_mad:

After we put the engine in we found that it leaked power steering fluid, among other things. We narrowed it down to one of the power steering racks, changed that out, it was not very fun.

Now a month later, it leaks again, but I think on the other side, I think. There's probably a good chance its leaking elsewhere as well, but that's not the question. The question is I've heard of people just taking it off and going without. Is this feasible or expensive too do? If the price isn't to bad, and all I need to do is to get bigger forearms, then I don't think its a bad trade off. Thanks for the time ^_^

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
If you remove it, you need to switch to a manual steering rack. If I remember, there is one from a fox body mustang that fits with a kit that used to be available on the market. Hopefully someone with experience can chime in.

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
That's sweet, not only are you guys in the state, but the Raleigh area as well.
I feel uber lucky. The biggest problem right now, is the fact that I'm not very car savvy, in comparison to most, and any projects I start must be done by the end of the day, due to the fact that I must drive it to work the next day.
I will be soon remedying that in about a week though.

I hope to meet some of you in the area though, I can see what I'm up against XD

If anything we can see who can push their 3300 pound car a 1/4 mile the fastest. XD (In fact, lets make it an 1/8 to be on the safe side, I think I'd die.)

Too topic though, would it be best to go with a manual steering rack? As long as the cost isn't too different, I don't mind at all. The most important thing to me is longevity.

Thanks guys,

Christopher

Man I wish I could get my car down to 3300 pounds haha. I think some people have retrofitted foxbody mustang manual steering racks to MKIIIs, there's a sticky at Supraforums. I've been running a proportional power steering rack with a standard power steering pump, which gives basically no power steering at idle, since I've had my car and it's a bit of a pain to park so I've considered a manual rack swap too.

I'm also in Raleigh, you should come out to some of the meets sometime :)

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Damn, works been keeping me busy, haven't had a moment to come in at all. :cry:
Back in October I took her to Fayettville's track for the first time to have some fun. Unfortunately, the fun was short lived, especially when comparing it to the hour and a half drive it took to get there from Raleigh. I had hoped to get in the mid 12's but alas, luck was not on my side that day.

long story short; The clutch I got from.. (clutchmaster I think) was the wrong one. It was supposed to be a stage 4, up to 450HP, this was not the case. It broke on the first run.:cry:

I'm actually quite surprised I got home. When we took everything off it kinda just fell out in many pieces XD

The good part is they sent a new one for free. (minus the 50$ for machining my flywheel. Douches)
Here's my ticket. (me on the right)(since I will never let my car be yellow)XD
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I wish I could have done better, I already new I broke something from the launch, so that didn't go as well as planned, second went well actually, (the only reason I won, and third... well, she didn't want to go into third...
excuses, I know, I'll do better next time ;)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
oldsking;1479122 said:
Hey man if you need help there are a couple of us that live out in the Raleigh area, I'm sure we can lend a hand,
This is what it's all about. You local guys should help him out, teach him, and then he can help you out next time it's time to replace a clutch or pull an engine.

rtrdpenguin;1479856 said:
I'm also in Raleigh, you should come out to some of the meets sometime :)

I bet you if you helped him get his car running properly, he'd love to come out to some meets.......:biglaugh:

Athena.....your mph sucks ass in the quarter. You definately have somethings wrong that you need to fix before taking it to the track again.

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
suprahero;1484205 said:
This is what it's all about. You local guys should help him out, teach him, and then he can help you out next time it's time to replace a clutch or pull an engine.

I would love you all ^_^
I have no problem giving free labor to friends ^_^

suprahero;1484205 said:
I bet you if you helped him get his car running properly, he'd love to come out to some meets.......:biglaugh:
Yes, I would ;)

suprahero;1484205 said:
Athena.....your mph sucks ass in the quarter. You definitely have something wrong that you need to fix before taking it to the track again.

It was very terrible indeed. I had just finished the swap, so was eager to see what it could do. I was going to go easy for the first run and have at it the second, since it was my first time at that track and with that car, but unfortunately a second run was not in the cards.

On the same note, I'm still having some clutch problems that seem weird.
It engages literally every time at a different spot. (mostly depending on how warm or cold it is outside. colder, closer to the floor, warmer, closer to the top. That and my power steering are my next projects.

Christopher