mk4 n/a wheels die grinded.. is it still safe?

TurboTarga

Sep 12, 2012
Tumwater, WA
I bought some n/a mk4 wheels for cheap with great tires on them, but the previous owner had used a die grinder to make the center bore a little bigger to fit on something else. I believe a ford ranger. I bought them for my mk3 but since he enlarged the center bore, this would make the wheels more lug-centric than hub-centric, correct?. Im just wondering if ill have any problems with fitment and if it'll still be safe to run for a while until I get nicer wheels.

Thanks in advance.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
My wheels have center bores WAY too large for the hub. No rings or anything. My thoughts? A hub centric ring comes in plastic, and when you remove the wheel, its still intact. therefore, most of the loading must be going through the lugs.

I'd be more worried about the integrity of the wheels after some hick ground the center out for them to fit on his ford truck.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

TurboTarga

Sep 12, 2012
Tumwater, WA
Okay yeah thats what I was thinking too, that it shouldnt be too bad, and they dont look too much bigger than stock, except one of the wheels looks like shit cause a chunk of the center bore isnt round cause his die grinder broke. Idk why he didnt just get spacers or something. But I got the rims with nitto tires that look brand new for $150, so even if I cant use the wheels, I can resell the tires for that much probably. So I figured it was a fairly safe investment either way.