Mk3watts 1989 jdm build

MK3WATTS

May 12, 2012
Asheville, NC
So i bought a 1989 NA Targa Top Supra With no motor just a W58 and a rear diff, oh and a power steering pump, for $300 and $200 for some of the nicest MKIV wheels I've seen. TOTAL=$500. Supra3.jpgSupra2.JPGsupra.jpg

Car definitely needs a respray but there is not one dent or ding in it at all, clear coat is just peeling and for $500 for a 5 speed targa and some really nice MKIV wheels that was a steal to me....

So after weeks of hard work, research on the best motor bang for the buck, i ran into a JDM Cressida 7M with 30-40k miles with new head gasket and refurbished head for $1040 with a 6 Month Warranty. just the motor with water pump and timing, found a guy who is selling a 1976 Celica With a 550hp 7MGTE running 10.90@130 on a 1/4 mile and i just asked him if he had any GE parts and he has probably 3 of everything that i need AC compressor, distributor the whole 9 Yards...for real cheap...engine3.jpgengine2.jpgengine1.jpg

So here in the next month or so i will keep you posted on the build, and may end up with alot of extra GE and GTE parts for sale...

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Looks good mate, from what I see you weren't joking about the wheels they look good in the photos.
Good find on the $300 supra you must be happy with that, the money you saved in the car being $300 can be spent on the parts needed, should be an interesting thread good luck

MK3WATTS

May 12, 2012
Asheville, NC
and also im buying a clutch today and was wondering if a stage 2 clutch is going to be too much for a NA or should i stick with a stage 1.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
looks like a good pick up for 500 bucks, hows the interior look?

not sure on the exhaust but a stock clutch should be fine for a n/a why are you going more aggressive?

MK3WATTS

May 12, 2012
Asheville, NC
well simply i want it to pull from a launch better and take more abuse that stock and the interior is great but is stripped from behind the front seat to the end of the hatch..

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Damn, great deal on the car! I'm sure you hear this often, but why don't you just go 7MGTE? That $1000 you spent on the GE could of easily gotten you a GTE.

Either way, good luck!

Last edited:

MK3WATTS

May 12, 2012
Asheville, NC
cool yeah i figured its a radiator and holds more fluid and will keep the car cooler so why not and its comes with two fans and looks nice i am also about to buy a carbon fiber timing cover like yours Brandon. It looks really nice!!!

MK3WATTS

May 12, 2012
Asheville, NC
so down to the last part and i really really really need a NA power steering pump tensioner, and the SOUP will be on the road very hard part to find

MK3WATTS

May 12, 2012
Asheville, NC
this is car as it stands obx header 30-40K jdm 7MGE custom short ram intake, kyb shocks, triple core radiator with electric fans need more pics...hopefully a video, but the car starts perfect sounds amazing with the header just need to run a catback... well i guess headerback exhaust.ha and some extra little things i have in plan but overall its a super nice 7MGE, thanks to Harry, Chris and just everyone at Phoenix:naughty:
supra done.jpgsupra done2.jpgsupra done3.jpg

All work done by http://www.phoenixmotorsportsonline.com/

MK3WATTS

May 12, 2012
Asheville, NC
and hopefully some ST swaybars front and rear strut bar and a Eibach Pro Lowering kit (maybe some coilovers if i can sell the KYB GR-2's on the car.