MK3 starting issue

YotaCrawler

Nov 17, 2012
Yuma AZ
Hi guys, I've been looking everywhere to try to find an answer for this, but I can't for the life of me.

I was driving earlier, and the wifey wants to get something to eat. We pull into a drive-thru, and as I let my foot off the gas, all power is lost. No lights, no radio, no antennae, no nothing. It won't crank, or anything, and I tried everything I could think of to try to get power back. I checked all fuses, check the battery terminals, check grounds, check all connectors I could see and reach. Then, all of a sudden after letting it jsut sit in the parking lot for about 5 minutes, I've got power back, out of nowhere. Fire it up, and it dies right away. I go through this song and dance for another 30 minutes until I figure out how to get it home.

All I had to do to keep it running was keep it revving above 1000rpm for a few seconds and then ease it down, and slowly work my foot off the pedal for about 30-40 seconds. After it loses power, It doesn't come back for a few minutes, then I get to try again. I wish I had a video to show you guys, as Im sure I'm not explaining this very well.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Check the small wire from the battery terminal to the fuse block and also the negative grounding points, one on the left inner fender by the shock and the other on the motor.

YotaCrawler

Nov 17, 2012
Yuma AZ
thanks man, I saw those possible solutions last night when I was digging for a thread with a similar issue. it was too late to try it but ill check it out when I get home from work.

all electrical and wiring gurus, speak up!!

YotaCrawler

Nov 17, 2012
Yuma AZ
I keep forgetting to mention that before I installed LED dash lights and the NA volt meter yesterday, it was running like a top. I also removed the CC, but I don't see why that would mess with the system to this capacity.

YotaCrawler

Nov 17, 2012
Yuma AZ
yep, it was the wire from the terminal to the fuse block. it looked like something chewed through it, and instead of fixing it, someone just wrapped it in half a roll of electric tape

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
The old twist together and tape fix trick, only good to get you to point B then fix correctly. It is usually not easy to do on larger gauge wires.

YotaCrawler

Nov 17, 2012
Yuma AZ
haha yea. I've never done that on anything important like this, I soldered on an extension and use a new crimp-connector for the terminal.