mix match clutch setup

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
ok so i have a used spec stage 2 plate and disc. the disc looks warn to the point that i dont really want to put it back in and have to take it all back out a few miles down the road.

so im looking at buying an ACT disc and keeping my spec plate. does anyone see a problem with this. i am thinking that it should fit fine atleast in the diameter of it.

i couldnt find where i can buy just a disc from spec. looks like they only sell the kit as a whole. maybe i should just call them directly.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
I use just the act disc with everything else stock and its been fine for like 4 years now with the bigger turbo, you have nothing to worry about go for it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Should work fine, but check the pressure plate and flywheel for wear/damage/cracks. You'll also have to scuff up the surfaces.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
oh the flywheel is cracked beyond repair. i brought it into the machine shop to see if they could take out the cracks or weld them up and then machine it, but they cannot. the guy also said he's seen a lot of flywheels, and a lot of bad ones at that and that this was one of the worst he's ever seen. im pretty annoyed/pissed at the kid i got this car from since he's the idiot that tried drifting on a non drift setup and just ruined a clutch and flywheel.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If the flywheel is that bad, the pressure plate would be very suspect as well. You do NOT want a clutch failure...

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
time for new flywheel, but as poodles stated your pressure plated is probably toast aswell, post some pics so we can see what your dealing with.

your only saving grace might be the moron who use to own the car may not have had the flywheel machined when he did the clutch

Last edited:

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
if your pp is bad and you want to save money you can use an oem pp with the act disc. I've had no problems and there's another thread on here with someone else who does it also with an upgraded turbo setup.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
i am scrapping the entire clutch that was in there. i bought (new to me) used clutch. it was out of a running car. it is a spec stage 2.
i have a flywheel out of the junkyard. just got it. it will be getting machined soon.

so pretty much just the used pp from the spec setup that i bought. kind of feel like i paid too much with how worn out this disc is.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
I would measure the thickness of the disc and check with spec to see if its in spec (ha) if its pretty worn I would get a new disc so you dont have to do this all over again sometime soon

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
haha. yeah broke is right.

i have been on a mad dash to sell old parts in the garage to raise funds to get the supra on the road. had this thing for a month and havent even driven it yet. so sad.