Misfiring?

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
This problem started a couple days ago. It happens when my car gets fully warmed up. Both times while on the highway and it feel sluggish and I can hear it misfiring I believe. Then it just goes blub.. blub... blub when idling, haha. Im gonna go check out the spark plugs now, and the wires seemed fine. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen or has any suggestions.

Thanks

SublimeSupra

Dreams of the Touge
Jan 17, 2006
Largo,Fl
Maybe a coilpack or ignitor intermitently cuting out,spark plug gap,wires,cps.Thats all that comes to mind hope it helps

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Check your timing...don't forget to jumper the diag block. The TRSM has more detail.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Ok, well I gapped and changed spark plugs, checked all spark plug wires and coil pack. Test drove it and nothing changed. When I got back I just let it idle a minute and played around with the cps a little but it didnt seem to change anything. I will have to get a timing light just to be sure it is correct. And I noticed the last time that I drove it that it seems to run fine after like 2500rpm (or maybe 3000 I didnt realy check) when put like 20% or more throttle, especially when in boost.

Only thing I could guess right now and I might be way off, is that maybe there is a weak spark plug wire, and that while warming up and under more throtle there is more voltage going to the plugs so it is able to only fire then. I dont know though.

Oh... and is there any way to test your plug wires so I can confirm wether they are good or not?

Last edited:

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
OK, well check timing, it was near 15 degrees so i brought it back to 10. Then I wanted to see something so I hooked the timing light to the number 2 wire. It flashed just like the number one did. Then I hooked it to the cylinder 6 wire because it was the next easiest and it seemed to be a little off. There would be gaps in the beat of the light. So I changed the wire with a used one at my house and it didnt seem to help. Would this be an accuarate way of testing for electricity going to the plugs?