misfire...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybroncos30

Oct 9, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
So here is the story, (1988 turbo auto car, 115k miles) car ran great for first couple thousand miles of ownership (aside from speedo cable breaking and heater vsv quitting) and one sunday morning I fired it up and noticed a misfire.

The characteristics of the misifire are a stumbly idle (with motor shakes) and very very poor acceleration up until boost and some occasional dying at idle when warm after coming down from speed. The miss is not affected by temp or run time, it just dissapears under boost, atleast for the most part.

Here is what I have done so far. Checked plugs (looked fine), checked resistance on plug wires (some deviation but nothing out of spec), checked for anything obvious like vacuum leaks or bad wire connections (car would have an occasional no start from bad connection in cps connector but has been fixed.

Now here is the interesting part, checked the engine codes and a 12 came up. So I checked cps and one of the coils was dead (ge1 i think) so I got a used cps, resistance was off but not too much, all cicuits functioned, and same problem. One more cps later, same problem. And since either of the newer cps have been in, no code 12.

Would a dead ge1 coil cause this sort of drivability issue and if so, why would it persist after cps replacement? I thought to check continuity between wires from cps connector to ecm but how do I get to the ecm and will these wires be same color as they are coming out of the cps connector? Anything else to check? Thanks, hope I didnt make this too long.

edit: also if i pull off any of the plug wires individually, it almost kills it so it would seem its not caused by one cylinder not firing or firing poorly and I obviously have timing properly set at 10 btdc

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
your coils failed the tsrm testing? check your coilpack ground, my bet is its either corroded or loose causing a weak ground. its on the right side of the engine near intake mani.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Code 12 is the CPS or it's wiring...seems to be a rash of this going around :icon_conf

Since you've changed the CPS, check the wiring from the CPS that goes across the top of the motor. This is a fairly hot part of the motor...the wires get brittle and can bare causing an unwanted ground. It can happen consistently or at random.

Failure (or bad connection) of the G1 or G2 contacts (crank angle sensors) will cause this...the motor will still run, but can misfire, hesitiate, studder...basically run like crap. If both fail or if the NE output fails (rpm), the ECU shuts the motor down by turning the injectors off.

jaybroncos30

Oct 9, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ill check those wires first then coilpacks and igniter. The weird thing to me about this problem is that I was able to solve the check engine light but without solving the drivability issue, like two problems popped up at once. Ill post findings tomorrow probably. Thanks and more ideas always help.

Status
Not open for further replies.