Minor Issues, first start 7mgte. TPS error 41

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
whitemike;1498779 said:
Look..

If you TRY to fix a problem. I respect that. That's all most of us ask, is that you try.. Most people don't try to help themselves, and it becomes very frustrating for the people trying to help THEM. You all are clearly trying because we have 4 pages of questions. Well done.

Hope you understand, wasn't trying to insult, just making a funny!

-Mike

Like I said, I unnecessarily made an ass of myself. lol I make fun of myself too, as well as others. You HAVE to have humor in life. It's all good!

I'm so excited about just having it run that I plan on troubleshooting tonight. The more I think about it as well, I think I may be leaking from the rear of the valve covers instead of the rear main, or it my even be dripping down the turbo or out of the turbo oil feed/drain. Keep your fingers crossed!

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
UPDATE!

So I looked at my TPS this morning and thought of how dirty both of them are. Went to a local parts store on a hunch and got a new one for around $73. Went home, slapped it on, and BOOM!

I can now get the proper electrical readings! I do not have time to set it at the moment, but when I get home I will follow those instructions Jetjock. Before, I could not set the TPS due to weird or even no readings at all. Now it's perfect. I see exactly what should be there. Just have to set it just right, now.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Nghty89;1499323 said:
UPDATE!

So I looked at my TPS this morning and thought of how dirty both of them are. Went to a local parts store on a hunch and got a new one for around $73. Went home, slapped it on, and BOOM!

I can now get the proper electrical readings! I do not have time to set it at the moment, but when I get home I will follow those instructions Jetjock. Before, I could not set the TPS due to weird or even no readings at all. Now it's perfect. I see exactly what should be there. Just have to set it just right, now.

You bought a tps at the local parts store? I didn't know they carried them. What prtss store? Glad to see you got it running right.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
S.A. supra;1499366 said:
You bought a tps at the local parts store? I didn't know they carried them. What prtss store? Glad to see you got it running right.

It was $73 from advanced auto. Apparently it is a common enough part for toyota that they stock two different TPS units that will fit the n/a and turbo 7m.

After a little tinkering, I know see low ohms (.12 or close to that) at throttle closed and infinity at throttle open between IDL and E2. I also see no codes with the throttle closed, and code 51 when I crack it using the pedal. Now, after a few minutes... I am throwing code 31... :aigo: BUT NO MORE 41! :wiggle: On to the next gremlin.

I have an idea what it is. I know it's to do with the MAF. Right now, (and yes my engine bay is clean enough to pull this off while sitting in the driveway) there is no filter on the MAF. Just the open honey comb. I can tip the throttle in just like before and it chokes when I blip the throttle. BUT... when I put my hand over the honey comb to give a little resistance to the airflow... it revs just fine and responds wonderfully to blips in the throttle. Is this possibly a vacuum leak? Or is it all filter based? Of course I will be putting a filter on, but I am wondering (since I am going maft), should I bother since I can get the maft system tomorrow?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
As I've pointed out before there must be at least one diameter upstream of the laminar flow screen for it to work correctly. Not to mention the fan is nearby. The usual symptom is unstable idle but 31 is not out of the question. Put a filter on it...

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
jetjock;1500259 said:
As I've pointed out before there must be at least one diameter upstream of the laminar flow screen for it to work correctly. Not to mention the fan is nearby. The usual symptom is unstable idle but 31 is not out of the question. Put a filter on it...

I figured, will do. I can't wait to have her back! I got the better turbo today to get rid of the smokey one. Looks like I get the put some miles on her this weekend! :biglaugh:

I really appreciate the help guys, and I hope this thread can be of some assistance to anyone in the future who has the same woes.

S.A. supra;1500270 said:
Never thoght to go there when I needed a tps.Good to know.

Yeah, I was like 'eh...' :squint: But it works and it's not a bad part apparently. I liked the quality.

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
I read this entire thread w/ great interest - found it very informative and was happy that the forum functioned well for a member w/ a problem. Always expect a bit of guy-guy harrassment....it's part of the fun!

MKiii7mSupraBoy

Jan 22, 2009
Miramar, Florida, United States
Hey I have a really dumb question but considering I'm only 19 and really don't have much experience with alot of things on the car, I figured I would ask before I try my hand at anything. I just got the car running and when I stab the gas my TEMS activate (I read about that in here.) And before I touch something and break it, how would I go about fixing this? Sorry if I'm just jumping in to the thread like this instead of making a new one, kinda figured since you were already on the topic you could help me out a bit.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Lol

Anyways - I got the car running and idling today with the newer ct-26. So far so good, minus my random afm issue. I checked it per TSRM, using a multimeter on THA and E2 on the afm. The dial on the multimeter was set to 2000 (not 2000K) and I read 1585 while it is 38 degrees F here. Is that correct? I'm wondering if I need a new afm... Or would a maft basic system fix this by eliminating the afm? I ask because I can get one tomorrow and have this issue resolved. Other than that, the only problem is my gauges don't work (Oil psi, boost, and water temp). Soon to be remedied by aftermarket Prosport Premiums!

I'm happy so far though, she idles beautifully and can drive. Although I would like to fix the afm issue before taking her out this weekend.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Youtube video is now processing. Look for a build thread to come in the next few days once I have more pics and video!

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
I have not been able to check this closely, but what are the wire colors for the 87 model year for the oil psi sensor, water temp sensor, and water temp gauge? Those gauges do not work, so I think I have them crossed. The connectors were missing from the harness so I had to make connectors.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Ok, so a better airfilter and intake set up did not fix error 31. I will be trying a good afm here in a day or so. I have also restored my water temp gauge functionality. Now I just need to get my oil psi to work right.... any tips? It's a new sender.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Confirmed error 31, bad AFM. Car runs great without it plugged in up until 3K rpm. Good throttle response and all. Plug the AFM in and bleh... right on it's face. I exhausted every possible wire issue before trying to unplug the AFM to make sure there were no other issues present. I also found that the oil psi issue is in the gauge, so I will be switching my n/a one over to the turbo dash for now until I go aftermarket. Also ordering a new short part of the speedo cable, mine's broken. She drive great and now looks better with the new wheels. Just have to throw on my tein coilovers and I'll be set!

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED! I hope this thread helps others with similar issues. I know I learned a ton from this. I owe you guys some lunch or something! lol