Military Police?

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
As an MP is their a good chance of being deployed to iraq?

Any special requirements to be a mp? drugs, alcohol, background?

1. Pay?

2. Do you think this will help me to become a civilian police officer?

3. Would you become a MP again?

4. Worst part of your job?

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Well, I'm not an MP. But, I know a lot about them just from being in the Air Force.

There is an extremely good chance of deploying. The AF police go for 6 months at a time and usually have a 12 month break in between deployments. But, the AF also goes to better deployments. If you chose Army, Iraq is almost a given. I'd chose the AF police honestly.

You just have to take the ASVAB test. The scoring for being an MP is pretty low. You pretty much have to answer your name correctly. As for the background, just tell them you haven't done anything as long as you have a clean record. Chances are you are only going to get a Secret security clearance like me. And tell them you rarely drink. Trust me on that one.

1. The pay goes by rank. So for example, you would get paid the same as someone the same rank that hands out towels at the gym. But, you'll get hazard duty pay and tax free when you deploy. Which I disagree about that though. I think a MP should get even more when deployed to a hostile environment. I got the same hazard duty pay in a peaceful deployment as an Army ranger on the front line in a hostile place for example. But, I'm an E-5 (Staff Sargeant) and my base pay is $2400/month, $360/month for food, and $1840/month for housing (housing is different depending on the area). It is definitely liveable pay.

2. I would think that it would help in becoming a civilian police officer. But, I would honestly go straight to trying to be a civilian P/O instead of joining the military if that's all your looking to get out of it.

3. I'd say about 70% of the MP's here at my base hate being MP's and wouldn't do it again if that helps. But, then again, a lot of them love the Authority they have. So, to each their own. I'm an Aircraft Mechanic and my job is pretty cool. It's better than being an MP for sure.

4. I'd say the deployments and the hours and bullshit that they have to deal with.

If you have any other questions, I'll try to help with them.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
A friend of mine is an army MP. Went out for drinks with him last night to catch up, I haven't seen him in a year. He's leaving for Iraq in December. He did it to become a local police officer, and is starting part-time this summer. He will work part-time from June to December, then be working as a cop full time when he gets back from Iraq.

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
Ckanderson;922126 said:
Anyone here done it or know someone?

I have some general questions...

Thanks!

3 things not to be in the military

#1 cook

#2 mechanic (aviation mechanics not included)

#3 MP

they work extremely long hours, and if you want to become law enforcement afterwards, it is harder because they know it is hard to reprogram your mind to deal with things on the level required by non-military police forces.

you trying to get in the military or something?