Midnight's 1JZ MKIII Living the dream...

midnight_mk3

May 22, 2009
Staten Island, Ny
Never made a build thread before but here goes.
I originally had a brown 87 hardtop turbo MKIII which was my first car.After years of spending money and busting my knuckles learning the ins and outs I had finally hit a dead end in my project. The car was due for a 1jz swap that never came due to various reasons(girls,friends,stolen parts, school, you name it).

After saving up some money I came across a f/s thread that was more than a few months old.I decided to shoot the owner an email and to my surprise she was still available. The price was higher than my budget allowed but i scrambled together the money,i even sold my daily and my brother's old beater to get the cash together.It was a hot day in June when i made the drive to Maryland from New York with my dad. When I saw her she had me at first sight.Everything was clean as hell.

photo0041n.jpg

But the clutch was completely dead...I wasn't going home without the car.So i rented a uhaul trailer and truck and loaded her up.A few hours later she was at home.

img18502.jpg

At this point I was feeling good.But I was flat broke and I had no mode of transportation.I had to buy a new clutch and with my minimum wage job that would take awhile.The next few weeks were spent,taking the bus & reading threads about clutches. I settled on a Clutchmasters FX200, full face carbon kevlar disc. I was very careful about clutch choice because i was so paranoid about crank walk issues that had plagued my friend's car.

img1869ded.jpg

img18642.jpg

I had no tools or resources at the time to do the install at home.But i caught a lucky break from a family friend who offered to do it for a decent price.

The day i picked her up I was oddly nervous.It had been a LONG time since I last drove an MKIII.The moment i drove her away from the shop I got that feeling like "yea I'm back in the game", It felt great. I gave it a thorough once over that day & I was very impressed at the quality of work on the swap. The car was definitely taken care of. The old owner goes by the username "RJS22" he still contacts me from time to time asking If I have a build thread up lol.

img20992.jpg

I wanted to use as many parts as I had left from the brown car on the red car.That way it would feel as if this was the reincarnation of my original Supra.I started with wheels and coilovers.There's only misc things left but I'll eventually move all of the good stuff over.

img21462.jpg

img21502.jpg

Coil overs are Megan Track Spec and this is how she sits as of now (can go lower but the roads here suck)

img35052.jpg

img46402.jpg

I have modest goals for this car as it is currently my daily. It still has a few issues that need sorting,but time will bring progress.I'm shooting for 600hp and will be going single as soon as my budget allows.

Last edited:

midnight_mk3

May 22, 2009
Staten Island, Ny
@ mk3_7m
Yea i was surprised at that too.imo nothing beats coilovers as far as bang for buck. the car looks better and the steering feels much more connected now.

@ Drift 4agze

Thanks, yea My number one pick was red with grey interior :love:.Wheels are just some generic brand, sizing is 18 x 8.5 +35 front 18 x 9.5 +35 rear.

Drift4agze

Feb 2, 2011
Arizona
midnight_mk3;1754900 said:
@ Drift 4agze

Thanks, yea My number one pick was red with grey interior :love:.Wheels are just some generic brand, sizing is 18 x 8.5 +35 front 18 x 9.5 +35 rear.

Grey interior is definitely a must. Wheel size looks perfect IMO. She might like some spacers tho. Nothing to crazy maybe 10mm or 12mm.

What front seats are those?

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
I remember the orginal thread, it seemed like it took forever for the car to sell and for no apparant reason. I'm glad to see the car went to a good owner/home. I'm liking the progress made so far too.

midnight_mk3

May 22, 2009
Staten Island, Ny
So since I got the car the twins have been puffing some oil...good excuse to go single lol.
ended up getting this:
img4041d.jpg

Garrett Airesearch T04
T4 flange
.81 hotside
.60 compressor housing
Journal bearing
single scroll

Just a simple laggy turbo lol.

also picked up an ebay manifold, driftmotion 50mm HKS wastegate, HKS SSQV bov,
now i just need:
-oil lines
-downpipe/flange
-intercooler piping rerouted

I was confused on whether this turbo required an oil restrictor for the feed line?cx racing kits come with "a built in restrictor" in the feed flange that bolts to the turbo.
anyone have any info?

midnight_mk3

May 22, 2009
Staten Island, Ny
^^^lol I kno I'm still rocking it too.

got some video the other night of the car.Still on twins and has a misfire that's being diagnosed.
[video=youtube;Dli-6_NshFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dli-6_NshFs&feature=player_embedded[/video]

single setup waiting to go in(just gotta fab up a dp and the intercooler piping):
wp000035t.jpg

Attachments

• wp000035t.jpg
    wp000035t.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 5
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
hey what intercooler are you running? is it a kit or did you piece it together. i need something similar to yours cause im running a fan clutch setup