MHG vs Cometic

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
supra34;1829091 said:
Really that's crazy that's a lot for stock gasket

Why is that ? .....

To be honest you should no matter what get a head job and at the very least check the block very very well.

I got a full head from decking to all new valves and hot tanked.

I also cleaned the block and used a straight edge to make sure it was perfect and even then I didn't go mhg.

Doing a proper head job gasket and head studs torqued to the right specs and per tsrm, as long as you are safe and have great fuel flow and never take chances the hg will last in my opinion.

Just avoid detonation at all cost :)

There's atleast one other guy around here that is above 500+ whp on stock hg and block, I'm sure more have done it

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
Turbo Habanero;1829087 said:
Don't do a metal head gasket if your not willing to get the head and block surfaced unless you want to do again...

I'm running 18psi and have been up to 22psi on a 60-1 turbo on a stock Toyota head gasket with arp head STUDS

P. i will add my car is a daily driver and sees a lot of abuse and track time.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know you could run a 60-1 at 22psi on a stock head gasket good to know that's the way i would like to go lol.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I truly don't like Cometic and all the re-brands they make ,titana and sip

truly the issue is the shim they use it not soft in any way and does not have any forgiveness at all since there stain-less and magnets don't stick to them

here are a few reason why mls gasket don't seal be sides the obvious

every bhg I have ever done will all way's have an crooked front timing cover and will have to be plained down by hand don't ask me why but they all do

people never retorq there arp studs or bolts ( and you have to since arp are not torq to yeild like the stock bolts they will go loose after 1 to 2 good runs)

razore blade is truly the best way to clean a block (but can take a long long long time)

and last but not least doing to many torquing step's wail torquing down the head

oh ya torquing over 90 foot pounds is never ever needed you will dimple the block

gaskest I use are

Hks bead
greddy

and for the bomb proof stuff The legdairy Hks stopper