MHG Question, how much to take off of head and block?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
1988SupraDreams said:
Yeah, I know about the bearing thing, I drained the oil, no coolant whatsoever.

I just got off the phone with my local machine shop (I've used them before and they've got their ducks in a row) and he said to just get the 1.2MM HG and to just shave the head? I asked him about doing the block and he said for a MLS HG that the standard procedure is to just shave the head. He said the block is smooth from the factory... I also mentioned that I had a minor BHG, and he said that it shouldnt make a difference on the block. Does this guy know what hes talking about?

I think he's talking out of his ass personally. When you install a MHG, ALWAYS have the head AND block machined to the proper RA spec (not the mention flatness). Here's a story for you: My cousin had BHG on his supra, took of the head and had it machined, ARP studs installed, BLOCK WAS NOT PULLED AND MACHINED WITH THE HEAD, 300 miles later (stock boost, full 3" exhaust, hard pipes)... BHG.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
starscream5000 said:
I think he's talking out of his ass personally. When you install a MHG, ALWAYS have the head AND block machined to the proper RA spec (not the mention flatness). Here's a story for you: My cousin had BHG on his supra, took of the head and had it machined, ARP studs installed, BLOCK WAS NOT PULLED AND MACHINED WITH THE HEAD, 300 miles later (stock boost, full 3" exhaust, hard pipes)... BHG.

Man, to get the block resurfaced, you have to take it all apart, and at that rate I'd be better off rebuilding the damn engine... I am about two seconds away from just putting a stocker on and selling the car.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Yep, that's right, if you want it done right, that's what you've got to do. You should have realized that a supra is a very demanding car by now from being on the forums for almost a year ;).

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
starscream5000 said:
Yep, that's right, if you want it done right, that's what you've got to do. You should have realized that a supra is a very demanding car by now from being on the forums for almost a year ;).

Yes.. and it's sucking me dry. :eek:wned: But no matter how much my car tries to make me hate it.. I can't help but love it...

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
You remove enough material to meet the flatness spec for the head and block. You cannot predict the amount, since it depends on how flat those two surfaces are and there is no way to know that until you pull it apart.

To find out how much has been removed from the head, measure from the deck to the cam cover flange. An uncut head is 116.00 mm.

There are only two ways to get the ra you need on the block. One is to pull the block apart and have it machined on a CBN mill. The second, is to lap the surface with diamond paste with the block in the car. A person only does the second one once, because it is so painful and involves hours of manual lapping. Check out this for more info.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414911

Both approaches will cost you $$.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
1988SupraDreams said:
Man, to get the block resurfaced, you have to take it all apart, and at that rate I'd be better off rebuilding the damn engine... I am about two seconds away from just putting a stocker on and selling the car.
good point, you would be better off rebuilding the engine, thats what im doing, and i know i wont regret it when im ready to mod!:evil2:

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
3p141592654 said:
You remove enough material to meet the flatness spec for the head and block. You cannot predict the amount, since it depends on how flat those two surfaces are and there is no way to know that until you pull it apart.

To find out how much has been removed from the head, measure from the deck to the cam cover flange. An uncut head is 116.00 mm.

There are only two ways to get the ra you need on the block. One is to pull the block apart and have it machined on a CBN mill. The second, is to lap the surface with diamond paste with the block in the car. A person only does the second one once, because it is so painful and involves hours of manual lapping. Check out this for more info.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414911

Both approaches will cost you $$.

I'm gonna have to read over all the links inside that thread a few times... *Headache ensues*

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
I'd look at it like this, if you're ok with the possibility of being in this same position down the road: could be next week, next 3 years, maybe never, then go ahead and just have the head done. If you're sure the block is pretty flat you should be alright but just realize it increases the chance for a problem later.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
It will most likely be flat, but you will have grooves etched into the block where the six gasket fire rings sit. Also, the area around each bolt hole will be pulled up about a mil.

Forget the MHG if you aren't willing to prep the block.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Nope. You must do the prep work involved just as if you had a BHG. And most likely you will need a thicker gasket than a 1.2mm to keep compression the same after material has been removed ;).

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Call up Rob's Auto Machine in Hayward...Those guys build race engines and have worked on Supra engines.

They charge $50-$60 to get the head machined on their CBN which is capable of producing good finishes for Metal Head Gaskets.
Real friendly guys too.

Cheers,
Roy

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
tte said:
Call up Rob's Auto Machine in Hayward...Those guys build race engines and have worked on Supra engines.

They charge $50-$60 to get the head machined on their CBN which is capable of producing good finishes for Metal Head Gaskets.
Real friendly guys too.

Cheers,
Roy

Arg no phone number. Make me do the hard work... Lol