metal o-ring in 1jz-gte non-vvti exhaust manifolds - removal / replacement?

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Hi

I have a spare pair of 1JZ stock twin exhaust manifolds, and I want to pull the o-rings in the grooves on the turbo side out so I can have the manifolds shot blasted/ceramic coated.

Are these things even meant to be removed? If so, how do I? Are there replacements anywhere?

Mike

87supramario

Jul 15, 2011
Niagara falls
Yes. You can use a flat screw driver to pry them out or try and pierce the tubular ring and grab it with needle nose pliers to pull it out. The only thing is to find a local exhaust shop with that same diameter o-ring. I did manage to find one locally in Canada at the very first exhaust shop I've visited, while they had it in stock. Mine looked like it was too small to fit but they stretch to size and the heat will help them expend, seal and sit properly while in operation.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
That one is for the outlet side, Y-pipe to downpipe, rather than manifold to turbine-housings. I opted for a graphite gasket there instead of the ring.

I can't find the manifold o-ring available anywhere, at least listed for that application. Like you said, an exhaust shop could probably find a generic one that fits... Maybe I'll measure it and try searching with the dimensions.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Ugh I can't find these things anywhere.
They're about 44mm (1.75") inner diameter and 53mm outer diameter.

gY23W3O.jpg

:: tumbleweed ::

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
So FYI none of the sources in the last link had the part available.

However, I was able to get them through a japanese company, jp-carparts.com, because they have them in stock over there.

17278-88400