metal HG vs normal HG

sketchy_89

Apr 8, 2009
adelaide
lol ok enough fighting...i talked to my local mechanic shop (and they are 7mgte experts) and they said the standard head gasket replacement will be fine for wat im chasing..just machine the head and get it checked and use arp head studs and the mechanist will supply the correct headgasket thickness for what they took off the head...and of course ill clean up the block im not gonna leave old gaskets and stuff on there ill get it to a nice clean finish..i aint that dumb haha

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Be care with a shop that says they are "7M Experts"...I've seen a lot of shops make that statement and royally FUBAR a motor. The statements: "they said the standard head gasket replacement will be fine" and "the mechanist will supply the correct head gasket thickness for what they took off the head" makes me suspect right off the bat. The OEM style HG's only come in one thickness and that is the stock 1.37mm (compressed).

An OEM HG is fine as long as excessive material was not removed from the block/head. However, due to the stock HG thickness (the only one available) you will get a higher CR as a result of using it.

sketchy_89

Apr 8, 2009
adelaide
yer i know they are 7m experts because they come high;y recommonded and the guy there has one that hes built....but yer i understand all that and cheers for all of ur advice

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
jdub;1326197 said:
Be care with a shop that says they are "7M Experts"...I've seen a lot of shops make that statement and royally FUBAR a motor. The statements: "they said the standard head gasket replacement will be fine" and "the mechanist will supply the correct head gasket thickness for what they took off the head" makes me suspect right off the bat. The OEM style HG's only come in one thickness and that is the stock 1.37mm (compressed).

An OEM HG is fine as long as excessive material was not removed from the block/head. However, due to the stock HG thickness (the only one available) you will get a higher CR as a result of using it.

We've got one of those shops here locally. They charged a boy I know 4600.00 to rebuild his 7m and then couldn't even set the CPS in the engine correctly or the ignition timing. The engine then made it to 4800 rpm of it's first dyno pass and blew the headgasket.

I always heard the definition of an "expert" was "a drip under pressure!"