Metal Head Gasket Q

Dataguy

Jun 20, 2011
Kansas
I'm going to change out my Head Gasket while I'm working on my motor. What HKS should I buy? What head bolts should I buy also? Thanks for the help guys.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
ARP head studs is what most run/reccomend however ARP bolts are some times used by people who don't pull their engine out when doing a stock HG. As for the HG itself i would think that would depend on how much material was shaved off to get it within specs to use a metal head gasket.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
The quick answer on the head gasket thickness is this:

Amount of material taken off head + Amount of material taken off the block + 1.3mm (stock compressed head gasket) = New metal head gasket

This is purely if you want to stay within stock compression ratio specs. There are people who opt to chose to go a little bit thinner and get a slightly higher compression ratio and there are those who go a little bit thicker for a "safe" build. I personally had a 1.2mm cometic head gasket on my car to bump up my compression ratio. I had 0.008" taken off the block and 0.012" taken off the head. I had worked out the exact compression ratio at one point, but unfortunately I can't remember what it was and I can't remember all the measurements needed for the calculator. Here's the one I used though...

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html