Messed up my parking brake...remove entirely?

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
First of all, the car is a 1989 Turbo model and I was replacing all the rotors/pads today since it was time and ran into some trouble.

Two of the rods on the rear that go through springs in order to hold the parking brake pads into place underneath the rear rotors stretched beyond usefulness. One had apparently been that way for for a little while and I ruined one. I can't get replacements in time before I need to drive the car again. It's my main mode for going to school and I have to drive it tomorrow.

Does anyone have any hip pocket tricks for fixing this or should I: 1) remove the parking brake assemblies until I get replacement rods and not use the parking brake at all or 2) use the two remaining good rods on one side and disassemble the other side.

I'm leaning toward just disassembling the parking brake assemblies under both rear rotors until I get replacement rods since I won't be parking on hills and I'll plan on just leaving it in gear, but I wanted some second opinions.

Thanks for inputs!

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Hooking up just one side won't work, both sides need to be there or neither side will work cause of how the cable system works.

The only downside to taking the parking brake out is that it won't be there. The normal brakes will work the same with it gone. If your main brakes failed you'd have no emergency brake system though.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
NAPA actually stocked the parts I needed so everything is reassembled as Toyota intended! I would recommend maybe stocking up on some of these things before you tear your rear brakes apart. It'll save time later!

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
^^^ Did that. It didn't fully let go and I was being stubborn and that's how I messed up one of them. Not sure what happened to the second one.