mega oil loss

wesbam1

May 10, 2006
uk
hi, Ive noticed that my supra turbos has thrown about 2 litres of oil out in 2 months ,my gear box is soaked in oil ,It seems to be very oily behind the heads, turbo side.am I right in thinking the egr cooler is in this location as I felt a join which I presume is a gasket/seal maybe leeking from there as its soaked in oil , my car is running badly at the moment could it be the head gasket failing releasing oil to the back of the engine if it is just the cooler how do you get to it its way too tight back there cheers?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
wesbam1 said:
hi, Ive noticed that my supra turbos has thrown about 2 litres of oil out in 2 months ,my gear box is soaked in oil ,It seems to be very oily behind the heads, turbo side.am I right in thinking the egr cooler is in this location as I felt a join which I presume is a gasket/seal maybe leeking from there as its soaked in oil , my car is running badly at the moment could it be the head gasket failing releasing oil to the back of the engine if it is just the cooler how do you get to it its way too tight back there cheers?

Check the valve cover gaskets 1st...if there is oil in the spark plug wells, that's the cause. The valve covers can leak anywhere...can make a real mess around the sides and back of the motor too. Also, the cam seals can leak oil down the front of the motor behind the timing belt covers...it flows out the small hole on the bottom of the lower cover and goes everywhere. There's also the main seal on the front of the crank...same story.

wesbam1

May 10, 2006
uk
checked the valve covers and they are leaking so a new gaskets on the way,my car hates starting no matter what the weather maybe oily plugs ill change these too cheers.