Meet the Bupra!

RebeccaB

Aug 6, 2015
Redwood City, CA
Hey Supra fans!! So happy to join the ranks of those who own and love this car!

I had been searching diligently for some time for a Mk3 with under 150k miles in the Bay Area (WOO CALIFORNIA!) and finally stumbled across this beauty:
Bupra Lot 1.jpg

Check that vintage plate! :love:

I took my boyfriend (an MR2 enthusiast, driver, mechanic, drifter, and grip instructor) with me to inspect her and it turns out she was in great shape for being a nearly 30 year old bird. She's a 1986.5 NA and until myself has had only one owner. The couple bought her brand new back in the day and only put 121k miles on her until just before I bought her. They were old enough that they couldn't drive anymore, so they sold her to another gentleman who loves older Toyotas. He was planning to get her all spiffed up, but due to his job, he had to make a move to another state, so he had to sell her. He never had the time to register or work on her, so besides the reupholstered front seats and a few odds and ends, she's pretty much all original!

I was so proud, I had to take a pic in my driveway when I got her home with the keys! YAY! :icon_bigg:icon_bigg
Bupra and Keys.jpg

She needs a new windshield (there's a crack right down the driver's side smack in the middle of view) and her bumpers need painted (ahhhh, that Toyota fade...) but she looks darn good, and she stops even better now that my boy and I replaced the brake master cylinder, rotors, pads, and added stainless steel lines! Look at the shiny!! :naughty:
Bupra Brakes.jpg

I hope to post many more updates as we get the time and money to work on her and make her into the amazing car she was when she first hit the road (and eventually drop in a 7MGTE or a 2JZ!)

Nice to meet you all! :biglaugh:

RebeccaB

Aug 6, 2015
Redwood City, CA
BrandonW;2056251 said:
Welcome! if it has little to no rust you have a solid platform there to work with there

Virtually no surface rust - barring the one stone chip on the hood that is barely noticeable. The boy's been into older Toyotas for years and is actually a Used Car Manager at a local dealership, so he definitely knows what he's looking for and he was super excited to see the underside of this girl when we went to check her out. I'm still new to all this business, but I enjoy learning and I love getting my hands dirty and making improvements. Can't wait to get her on some coilovers and stiffen her up. Lots of body roll and she nosedives hard with the new brakes (they're a little TOO good.) LOL

RebeccaB

Aug 6, 2015
Redwood City, CA
D.J.T.;2056257 said:
Welcome.

A find like this is what im hunting for. 91-92 sunroof shell unmolested, low miles.
Nearly impossible to find though. Nice find indeed.

Thanks! I wish you the best of luck! I browsed Craigslist daily for quite some time before I came across the Bupra.

All I had been able to find in my price range for the longest time was Targas - which I wouldn't mind if I was just using it for a daily, but with possible track plans, the hardtop was a must. :)

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
Oh I know it was a world of difference when I got the tein ss coilovers installed and st swaybars at the same time and then about a year after that went to full polyurethane bushing all around with the exception of the subframe bushings. I love it it rides so good imo

RebeccaB

Aug 6, 2015
Redwood City, CA
Not sure which ones I'm going to do yet - gotta save my pennies. I'll be honest, she's my first manual car, so I'm gonna take everything nice and slow. My plans are mostly restorative with a bit of modification to make her trackworthy eventually.

Now that the brakes are done, bumpers are going to be painted, then it's replacing the windshield, then reupholstering the front seats. They were recovered with grey vinyl and I haaaaaate that. I think I can find someone who can do the original fabric - cross your fingers! Then I'll just get a bucket seat to swap in when I want to track her. :)