Mechanical Fan on 2jz swapped MKIII

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
I just had one of my Spal electric fans fail on me at the PNW meet this past weekend. I have a feeling its been going bad from a bit now as the car is running hot even on the hwy.

My setup now is a Koyo rad, 2jz-gte, I need to know what mechanical fan will work with this and keep it cool. I have herd that I can use the MKIV clutch and some Lexus SC fan. I still have my twin AC fans so I can have those set to come on as a back up.

The main things I need to know now are what clutch and fan blade is needed. I can shorten my upper coolant neck to allow more room for the fan blades. I would rather do that than run the risk of the fan hitting the rad.

I'm also going to duct the underside of the car and sides to allow all the air to get to the rad.

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
well that is what driftmotion say works and i would be using it if it would clear my massive radiator, rotation is relative to belt routing.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
1uz clutch w/ mkiii fan?
id like to see pics of how close they all are to stock and otherwise

the 2jz sc clutch is the same as the mkiv, not sure about the 1uz sc clutch though..

as for the fan its the same as the 2jz n/a. cant get away with it unless you change the waterneck or use spacers on the fan but it would probably be your better bet vs the mkiv turbo fan (closer to the engine) but its still not much of a diff...

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
tlo86;1373803 said:
1uz clutch w/ mkiii fan?
id like to see pics of how close they all are to stock and otherwise

the 2jz sc clutch is the same as the mkiv, not sure about the 1uz sc clutch though..

as for the fan its the same as the 2jz n/a. cant get away with it unless you change the waterneck or use spacers on the fan but it would probably be your better bet vs the mkiv turbo fan (closer to the engine) but its still not much of a diff...

Thank you very much. I do want to get it as close to the engine as I can. I have seen BIC take out a Koyo with a MKIV clutch and fan. I believe he is running a MKIV clutch with a MKIV N/A fan now, he is not sure though. He tried the LS400 clutch and it was always locked and made a hell of a racket at high RPM.

I will be shortening my water neck to allow more fan room.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
it is possible to modify it like the 2jzge waterneck, i have thought about doing the same though :)

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
tlo86;1373925 said:
it is possible to modify it like the 2jzge waterneck, i have thought about doing the same though :)

I'm just going to cut out 3/4-1in from the length and see how that works. Doing that will get it nice and close to the timing cover.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
tissimo;1373953 said:
Why not just use a 2jzgte fan & clutch. It works perfectly with the 1jz.

can it fit with his koyo rad?

iknow what fits stock but havent touched an aftermarket rad yet with any jz setup ive done

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
tissimo;1374021 said:
It should be fine. On my old 1jz I had plenty of room for the fan, moving the shroud in 1" wouldn't be a problem.

Hmm, i know Randy killed his Koyo running a MKIV turbo clutch and fan. It happened when he was at the track in Vegas the fan hit the core and sliced the rad open.

I believe the NA MKIV fan is about a 1/4 closer to the engine and I want to have all the safety room I can get.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Turbo Drifter;1374029 said:
Hmm, i know Randy killed his Koyo running a MKIV turbo clutch and fan. It happened when he was at the track in Vegas the fan hit the core and sliced the rad open.

I believe the NA MKIV fan is about a 1/4 closer to the engine and I want to have all the safety room I can get.

I'd say there was a problem that caused the fan to hit the radiator.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I had a bad case of wheel hop that caused the fan to hit the rad, for normal driving it is fine. I was running the MK4 clutch and blade, it was about 1/4-3/8" from the rad, I will check my part numbers but I think I am runinning the MK4 clutch and the N/A fan blade right now and I did have to space it out a bit away from the upper rad hose. It is trickey with the thick Koyop Al rad, the LS400 clutch and 7M blade fits great, nbecasue the 7M blade is much thinner than the 2jz blades, but the clutch is reverse rotation, so it is basicly locked up full time, and sounds like a semi truck, and vibrates like mad at 5000+ rpms. I made a post a few months ago with measurements of different fan/ clutch combonations.

Randy

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
OK I found the thread with my measurements:

Thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82853&highlight=fan+clutch

" Yup, I got the SC clutch and the mk4 n/a fan here on my desk, combined it is 3.75" to the farthest tip of the fan blade. The clutch itself is approx 2 7/8" from the watepump flange to the mounting face for the fan blade, the clutch apppears to be the same as the GTE clutch, but without the GTE one off my car to measure it I cant say exactly. The GE fan blade looks to be about 1/2 -5/8" closer to the engine than the 2jzgte blade, but the GTE setup is still bolted onto the car and hard to measure. But it looks like the either clutch with the n/a blade will fit with about 3/4"- 1" between the fan and Koyoa Race Al rad, the core clearence is not really the problem, its the end tanks, now I have about 1/4" between the blade and the upper tank, with the GE blade it will be 3/4"-1" away.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
tlo86;1375445 said:
hrmm is it just ok to run a reverse clutch like that?

I tried two different LS400 clutches and both ran full locked up, so I ditched them and went back to the 2jz clutch and N/A fan. Its really to bad, cause the LS/7M fan combe fits perfect for us running Koyo, or PWR rads.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
blackgamer16;1376294 said:
will that SC clutch and NA fan blade setup clear the PWR radiator?

Ok I have found that the SC300 clutch, MKIV TT and N/A are the same part number. The difference is with the fans, the TT has a different part number than the SC & n/a.

I was at BIC today and I tested two cars there. One had the LS400 Clutch and 7M fan (fit like a dream BTW) and the other had a MKIV clutch and n/a fan (fit ok but is about 3/4in from the koyo rad tank).

What was interesting is that the MKIV clutch and n/a fan spun much freer than the LS400 clutch and 7M fan. The LS400 clutch was easily 50% stiffer to spin than the MKIV one. The problem I have with that is that I feel there is not need to have it locked that much. It will hurt the response of the engine and the power to much at that point.

I was able to with hand spin the MKIV clutch and N/A fan and have it free spin a bit were the LS400 and 7M fan took effort to spin and as soon as I took my hand off it stopped.

So in conclusion the set up to have is a MKIV clutch (sc300 or N/A both the same) and the N/A or SC300 fan blades. This will require the water neck to be shortened on my 2jz but its a change I am able and willing to make.

Jeremy